Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: can't put newborn down! HELP!

Post can't put newborn down! HELP!

My three week old nurses approximately every 2 hours. He usually falls asleep near the end of nursing. As soon as I try to lie him down (either in crib, or in swing), he wakes up and screams uncontrollably! I am literally holding him ALL day long. I think I'm going to go insane! I don't know what to do, or how to fix this. Does anyone else have this problem?

Default Re: can't put newborn down! HELP!

Yes i have the same problem and mine is 8 wks old and i dont know what to do neither.

Lindsey

A couple of things can help. I put DS down in his bouncey seat and the way the cloth came up around his body more helped. Swaddling can also help. You might also wait a bit longer to put him down so he is in a deeper sleep. You want his arm to be completely limp when you lift it up a bit. (Dr. Sears talks about this and I've found it to be helpful at times.)

ericsmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I used a baby bjorn with my baby and it saved me a lot of screaming. When he was in a deep sleep I'd put him down in a bassinet. From what mommies on this forum say, slings are the most comfortable. Babies r us has some. Then, your baby is happy and you can get things done. Don't worry about it "spoiling" your baby. You will be able to put your lo down, but maybe not right now! I also agree with pp- swaddling helps.

The Didymos site has some great info on why carriers like Bjorns are bad for babies developing hips and spines. You should def. check out what they have to say.

I do, however, agree that you should look into getting a carrier. I love them all. WYB and TBW are great sites to look into, as well as NINO.

Have you been to our baby wearing section?
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

My lo was that way, but she would sit in her swing when she fell asleep. I agree, try getting a good baby carrier and just keep trying to put him down several times a day. Eventually it will work

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

My LO was that way for a few weeks after birth. It helped if I let her drift off on the Boppy after eating. Then once she was done, I'd move her and the boppy to the sofa and could leave her laying on it for awhile. I think it tricked her into thinking she was still being held. Eventually though, she grew out of this phase. The swing worked wonders as well.
    Hang in there - contact a friend or family member or your SO and tell them what you are feeling and that you need some help. It's an overwhelming time and I know that I can always use any help someone will give me!

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

oh you bring back very vivid memories I started out with a pouch and it was my saving grace. I remember sitting in my rocking chair going from one breast to the other for 4 hours straight (boy was my bum sore!) It does get better, I found great support and help from this site as well as a few others that were posted by Jessica. Hang in there

wanted to also add that if you have someone close, ask them if they wouldn't mind holding him so that you can shower, and have them grab you a bite to eat on their way over

Try putting lo down on his side at first. Newborns have a reflex reaction of startling when laid down on thier back. (At least that's what I've heard) My cousin had trouble putting her boy down b/c he always startled awake. Once she got in the habit of putting him down on his side first then rolling him over to his back she didn't have any more trouble.

I know its hard, but try to hang in there. Is there any way that you could nap at the same time? Don't worry - its normal for your baby to want to stay in your arms where its comfy and safe. But the good thing is that babies keep changing!!!!!!!!