Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Reflux or OALD? Not sure what to do

Default Reflux or OALD? Not sure what to do

Hi! I'm new to the forum. My son is 6 weeks old.

I'm starting to think this week that we have either OALD, or reflux, or both. We're soaking the bed every night with milk, changing both of our clothes 2-3 times a day. He seems to do what others have described - latching on and off and never settling down for a calm nursing session. However, every time he pulls off, he shrieks, turns a horrid shade of red, and arches his back so miserably, it really looks like he's in pain. He doesn't spit up that much either. He doesn't choke - he coughs really forcefully.

I have been expressing off a good ounce or two after let-down to give him a break, and this seems to be helping, but it so messy. I feel like a prisoner - we can't go anywhere, because he shrieks the whole time he eats, my clothes are always soaked, and hand expressing makes an even bigger mess.

I am really, really leery about giving any medication which is probably what it will lead to if he has reflux. Is there anything a little more benign, alternative that one can give a newborn for reflux to see if it soothes, before jumping into medical management?

Thanks so much.
    Amy

Default Re: Reflux or OALD? Not sure what to do

Have you tried nursing him in a more upright position?

Default Re: Reflux or OALD? Not sure what to do

Hmmm...you might try taking some measures that will help with your oversupply/OALD first to see if that helps rectify the situation. Have you tried block feeding? If not, give it a whirl and see how it goes. You may still need to pump your breasts until your milk let's down. But as your baby gets older, he'll adjust to the OALD. I wouldn't pump off 2 or 3 ounces though otherwise you'll be defeating the purpose of block feeding. Just pump or hand express to get your milk to let down initially then put baby to breast.

The good news is that oversupply issues tend to resolve themselves by about the 12-week mark. You're really just coming out of the most difficult part of nursing. It should get better from here on out

You may also want to try using gravity to your advantage.

HTH!