Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple Shield problem - HELP!

Default Nipple Shield problem - HELP!

My 4 week old just began nursing with a nipple shield (we've been pumping because she refused the breast- even with a shield up until now) She's nursed three times, but two of these times have been very painful, and when she comes off, my nipple appears pinched! I take care to make sure the shield is centered, and I was fitted for my shield by an LC, but two different LCs gave me two different sizes! Any ideas on why it would be so painful??? I was so excited she's nursing (I'm sick of pumping), but now I'm worried we may not be able to keep it up. TIA!

Default Re: Nipple Shield problem - HELP!

what brand of Nipple sheild are you using? The Avent one made my nipples hurt REALLY bad, but medela's didnt.

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

Medela's

Do you have over active let down thats causing the baby to clamp down maybe? I'll be back with a link later. nak

~Meg~
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

I used to use the small medela in order to help my LO to latch. After a few days i had blood on my nipple. My LC told me that i should try to nurse without it. At the beginning it was impossible, then i tried the large medela which was not painful and made my LO to open more wide her mouth. So after 5 weeks we weaned off the nipple shield.

Here are a couple of links, hope they help a bit

Overactive Letdown

Nipple pain

~Meg~

Thanks! That's a possibility -
    This morning she started on the nipple shield for 15 minutes, then fell asleep. When I moved her off she started screaming and acting hungry - she was too frustrated and wouldn't nurse again and took a whole 3 oz from the bottle (and I pumped - and got the 4 1/2 oz I usually get when I pump and she takes a bottle) I don't think she would've kept nursing if she wasn't getting any milk - she's not very patient
    She started to nurse this afternoon w/ the shield but kept pulling off I finally gave her a bottle b/c she got so frustrated - after the bottle she promptly spit up a good amount at two different times. - and then acted hungry. I know an irritated tummy doesn't need food, but she took another ounce before she was satisfied! She's such a peanut (probably around 8 lbs now - isn't 4 1/2 oz too much for her to take at once? I normally give her 3 - even though I pump 3-4 1/2)
    So many questions...