Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My baby will only sleep on his belly please help....

Default My baby will only sleep on his belly please help....

My son will be 8 wks on Tueday and im having a hard time putting him to sleep on his back and his side. He has never had a problem before sleeping on his back nor his side. He only wants to be on his belly and im really scared that something will happened to him on his tummy. About 3 wks ago i started laying him on his belly for naps out in the living room floor when im right by him was that a bad thing to do? b/c know he wants to be on his belly at night. I didn't have any problems until tonight. I spents 3 hours tiring to figure out why he was upset and every time i picked him up he fell asleep in my arms on his belly. When i go to put him on the bed he starts screaming. So finial i just rolled him on is belly he went right to bed. What should i do. Can anyone give me some advice. I know your not surpose to put them on there bellys and i dont really want him on his belly but what do i do?

Thanks so much

Lindsey

Default Re: My baby will only sleep on his belly please help....

I'm not going to give a very popular answer here...but I say leave him on his tummy. There are too many other things in this life to worry about than letting the fear of SIDS consume us. 15 years ago you would've been thought to be nuts to put your kid on their back to sleep and now people look at you like you are nuts if you put them on their tummies. My DS slept on his stomach from the very first day. I never even attempted to put him on his back...I just kept him close to me in the bassinet and made sure that I took other precautions...I made sure he had a firm mattress to sleep on, sheets pulled tight, no blankets or stuffed animals...etc.

You have to do what you feel is right for your family and your baby...even if it goes against what "they" say.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

I have to agree with Leslie. The "back-to-sleep campaign" has lowered the incidence of SIDS, but there are so many other risk factors. Some babies just don't like sleeping on their back. You have to do what's best for your baby. "Back-to-sleep" is a fairly new pediatric "rule". It used to be, 20-30+ years ago, that babies were routinely put on their tummies to sleep.

We went through the same thing with DS. He has been a tummy sleeper since birth. I hated it at first but he simply would not sleep on his back no matter what. For weeks I had my eyes glued on him at night out of fear and kept him close to me in a bassinet. I relaxed when he was able to roll over and control his own positioning.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

My DS also sleeps on his tummy about half the night. We started on his back and he slept so restlessly to me that after a few weeks I started putting him on his side on a wedge. Things seemed to get better until he started rolling himself over to his tummy, and when I would see this I would put him back to his side and he would just move and wiggle and we neither of us would sleep well. We co-slept for a long time, so I thought him sleeping on his belly would be okay, but I would wake up and his face would be covered with blankets or my husband would be almost on top of him so we bought one of those arms reach co-sleeper beds and now he sleeps comfortably next to my side of the bed on his tummy (I put him on his side when he first goes to bed but he rolls over some time in the middle of the night) and I can feel at least a little better that i wont smush him!

just wanted to share that our baby is the same way, and he seems to be okay! Just go with what you feel is right like the other mommas have said!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

I am going to agree with everyone else. DS 2 and 3 both sleep on their bellies from day one. DS 2 is now 3 and that is still the only way he can fall asleep and ds 3 is 12 weeks old. Now that he has mastered controlling and lifting his head high my concern has lessened considerably. Like pp said you need to do what you feel is right for your baby!

I'm also going to agree with everyone else. I have three boys and they've all slept on their tummies. With the first one I was worried all the time, the second one not so much, and now with my youngest I hardly ever worry about it. I'm not going to lie and say I don't go in and check on him every now and then to make sure he's still breathing b/c I do but I'm much more relaxed and my baby gets some sleep....along with myself. Someone else mentioned it but just don't put blankets all around your LO and keep stuffed animals and stuff outta the crib. Good luck!

Let him sleep! I agree with all the PP's.

I also agree with everyone else. After 7 weeks of struggling with our DS and having to hold him to get any sleep at all, we just finally gave up and let him sleep on his belly. For peace of mind we bought a really neat moniter for the crib that you put under the mattress and when (if) there is no movement at all (and breathing counts as movement) it will beep to alert you. It was $100 at Babies R Us, but we gladly paid that price for a good nights sleep for all!

Smile Re: My baby will only sleep on his belly please help....

I will have to agree with all the other PP . I have 4 children and all of my children slept on their belly. I would always try to put them on their back but they would not slept at all b/c they had a bad startle reflex. So every time there was any kind of noise their hands would fly up and they would wake up. Try to get some sleep and do what is best for your family.

Good Luck!

Thank you all so much for your advice. My little man is sleeping on his tummy all the time know and he's doing great and sleeping alot better. God bless

Thanks so much
    Lindsey and Russell