Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I Need Some Advice

Question I Need Some Advice

My daughter, Allison, was born on 2/7/07. I had a pretty healthy pregnancy and was induced at 38 weeks because I tested positive for GBS. When she was born, she was a little blue and took a little longer than my last two to warm up, but I didn't think anything about it. At her 2 month check up and after a pediatric cardiology appointment, she was diagnosed with Tetrology of Fallot, a heart defect. This was on April 9th. She had open heart surgery on April 11th. She coded on April 13th (a Friday, I am not superstitious, but I have come to really not like that date). We found out on April 14th that during the operation, her lymph vessel was damaged and her body could not absorb the triglycerides from my breastmilk. She nursed on April 9th, but due to not knowing when they would do surgery, she was not allowed to nurse after she was admitted into our Children's Hospital. They provided me a hospital grade pump while we were there, and I had a couple of tubs full of breastmilk when we came home on the 21st.

Due to the damaged lymph vessel she was put on a special formula and we were told that she would be on it for at least 8 weeks. I had dealt with ppd after my second pregnancy and felt it coming back on even before all of this happened. When I heard that I would be pumping for at least 8 weeks, I fell apart. I talked myself out of pumping, partly because my insurance wouldn't pay for the pump, and after 2 weeks in the hospital, major surgury and major medications, I felt like we couldn't do the rental costs also. My husband was behind me whatever decision that I made, but I chose to quit pumping - a decision that I totally regret.

So, I guess what my question is, is now that we have almost reached that 8 week mark, and the cardiologist has given the okay to get off of the formula next week, what do I need to do to get my milk supply up? The last time that I felt my milk let down was about 3 weeks ago. I have been given the okay for taking the Fenugreek (sp??) with her heart medication that she is on. I have tried a few times to see if she would latch on, and she does for a few sucks, but nothing more than that.

Do you have any advice? I feel like the decision to not breastfeed had been taken away from me and it kills me. My boys breastfeed for almost a year, but while I was pregnant, my husband and I joked about Allie never quitting, because she will be my last. This probably sounds stupid, but I long to breastfeed again.

Any help that you have would be greatly appreciated!!

Elizabeth

Default Re: I Need Some Advice

Thanks for the !! I can use a bunch. When life gets a little crazy, or when I start looking at post-surgery pictures, I still get very weepy. It still seems unreal, like I am going to wake up tomorrow and it never happened. However, I realize that that is not going to happen and I come to reality. It still stinks - what she has to go through. Like I said before, she is such a fighter and she has such a cute personality.

I haven't pumped since I came home from the hospital on April 21st. I was pumping everyday, getting almost 8 ounces every couple of hours from both sides combined. By the time we left, I could hardly get 2 ounces at a time. I know that some of the reasons were that I was not eating or drinking enough - I lived on Dr Pepper while we lived at Vanderbilt. Also, when she was in the PCCU (Pediatric Critical Care Unit) we were given a sleep room there in the hospital and we were so drained the thought of getting up every couple of hours during the middle of the night was so overwhelming I couldn't get myself to do it. Even with a perscription from a doctor, our insurance won't pay for the pump. I have an Avent hand pump that worked pretty good before the surgery, I just haven't gotten it out yet.

I have been looking into purchasing a SNS and hope to do so this weekend. I did get her to latch on correctly today. She had just eaten and was semi asleep. She didn't want her bottle anymore and was very content using me as a pacifier. This is one time I didn't mind!! It does give me comfort that once I get the SNS that she will latch on for longer periods of time. I want to do what is best for her and I don't want to stress her out trying to get her to bf again. It is not worth it to me, but I want to at least give it a try.

Thank you for the advice and for listening to me talk. Even though my husband is self-employed, after living in a hospital for 22 out of 38 days, he is locked in his office trying to catch up. So, life can get a little boring - yes, even with a 16 month old, a 5yo, and a 7yo in the house!!

i would say nurse nurse but with the stress right now...maybe u should think about this till ur milk supply comes up..i stressed alot at the beginning and it didnt help...let me go get site

if the site dont work just go to www.kellymom.com go to search and put in supplement weaning sorry about to many post...

You can also try some vigorious massage in a hot shower. You want to increase the stimulation of the breast. Pumping is a great way to start out while you wait for all you gear. If you do get bb latched again try a breast compression to encourage milk flow. Have you tried latching her on when she is asleep? Some babies like to do some comfort nursing...

Thanks for all of the advice!! She really cannot have bm until next Wednesday, but I have been trying to get her to latch on when she is semi-awake and no longer wanting her bottle. I was going to order the SNS, but with Mummy's advice, I will look into the Lact Aid more before I make a definate decision. I would much rather nurse with a little bit of help then not to nurse at all. I know that bm is so much better for her than formula, but I really miss the bonding also!! I know that she got 2 full months of anitbodies from me, so that makes me feel better, but I hope that I am semi-successful with this. Even if I am only able to nurse once a day, I will take that!!

Thanks for all of the advice and !!

don't be afraid to call your local leader too, shes around to help.
    If you don't click with the 1st one then keep calling untill you find somebody to talk to..
    what a stressfull time.
    see about renting a hospital grade pump! A leader can give you a local place to find one.
    talk to somebody elseat your insurace about the pump... you might have to fight for it, if her doctor says its needed.
    you can do it..
    it might take a few weeks but I bet she'll be back to nursing in no time.
    andrea

first of all lots of hugs for you and your little one! second onto latching!
    It's great she will still latch for a few moments! that more then anything is what will bring your supply back up! when i relactated for aidan He would comfort nurse to sleep. that was the most help. wat first we used the nipple shield but within a month he was weaned off of it.

now what you should do is express your milk ! try to pump ever 2 hours during the day and ever 4 hours at night (that's typically what you should do!)
    I couldn't ever get a letdown and much output from the pump so I had to use Hand Expression > I always got more, and could do this anywhere. I say if you do get a pump awesome but hand expression would be a good tool to have when you are out and don't have your pump with you

lots of skin to skin, bath with her too if you can! A lot of women swear by the SNS, while others either couldn't get the baby to use it or found their babies became addicted to the flow ! I couldn't get it to work for us but if you can it will be the best way to get her at the breast!

i always share my positive and negative experiances not to bring someone down but to show them ahead of time that it's not always as easy to use these things as it may appear! I was always told this and that would work and when it didn't it made my stress level higher and i didn't have a game plan for if something didn't work

the process for me in the bigging was slow, very little for the first few weeks but then once it starts to increase it happened so pretty quickly!

i wrote this quickly without a re read but wanted to post this really quick i will look more at this later in case you had any questions for me since i have relactated recently! (here he is 13 months old and addicted to the breast

oh and about the pump i know you said the cost I found this on a forum months ago but never used it since i have a pump (pump in style) and i coudln't use it! maybe this will work for you !

copied and pasted :
    For those of you that still need a pump, or even if you don't, a lot of insurances will cover a breast pump under the equipment code E0603. I have a Blue Cross/Blue Shield PPO plan. It is not very good insurance but it still covers up to 270.00 on a breast pump. A lot of insurances cover up to 320.00 according to my insurance. It is worth calling and checking it out!!!!
    ~*TiffanyJewel*~
    Happily Married !
    SAHM to my two beautiful boys
    Ethan my sweet big boy! born 9-9-04
    Aidan my little nursling! (relactation) born
    5-2-06!
    Natalie Jewel Our Valentine! Born
    2-14-08
    *Relactation- a labor or Love*

Smile Re: I Need Some Advice

I just wanted to give you and say that i have been there. My daughter needed cranio surgery (skull removed from her head) at 3 months and my milk tried to dry up after days of her just latching on and not eating b/c of post op and recovery. I have not had to relactate before so i have no advice there but i understand the shock my daughter is 7 months old and i still look at her scars and wonder how all of this happened to her. It will get better i promise These ladies here will help you alot and you will get going again. Good Luck and God bless

Tiffany
    Last edited by tiffany877; June 7th, 2007 at 03:16 PM.