Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supplementing for a day

Default Supplementing for a day

I am going to be in a wedding in one and a half weeks and don't have any spare bottles. I don't think I can pump enough for the whole day before it arrives. Would it be harmful to give my LO formula for just that day? I imagine it might be good to give her a couple bottles of it just to introduce it so that Grandma doesn't have a baby freaking out on her. I'm not concerned about my milk supply because this would just be temporary. Any advice, thanks!

ericsmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Supplementing for a day

The only thing I would be concerned with is you baby having difficulty digesting it, or refusing it because it tastes weird. I used to give my son bottles of formula and bm combined so it was easier to digest, and I thought it helped the taste of the formula too. I think if it was me I'd give him a test run bottle.

Yeah I would definitely try a few test run bottles. My son won't take any sort of formula...heck he won't even take a bottle so I'm just outta luck. So if you are thinking about it I would definitely try it now. The only thing I've heard is that sometimes the baby will actually prefer the formula over breastmilk and not want to nurse any more. But I'm sure that doesn't happen that much.

Thanks for the advice -- my LO easily goes from me to the bottle with BM so I'm hoping she'll be okay with the formula for a short time period. We just started introducing food to her a few weeks ago so she might be open to the formula as just another new thing!