Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping questions - not getting enough

Default Pumping questions - not getting enough

I'm using the avent ISIS manual pump occassionally, just when my husband and I want to go on a date or something like that, and when I pump, I only get about 2oz at a time unless I pump right away in the morning before my son wakes up, then I could probably get 12 oz or more if I wanted to, but then Johnny wants to nurse quite a bit more during the morning. Is this pretty typical? Any suggestions on how to work out my pumping schedule on a day when I'm planning on being away from the baby?

Amanda
    mommy of Johnny (7mos)

Default Re: Pumping questions - not getting enough

When you go out for the date or anywhere, how long are you generally gone and how much does he seem to need while you're gone? Are you storing it in small quantities and is there any waste (do you end up throwing partial bags away?) And last, I noticed from another of your posts that he is taking solids. For the short time that you are gone, would he consider maybe having some of that and the expressed milk together?

Default Re: Pumping questions - not getting enough

i haven't tried going out since he's been on solids... but the last time we went out he had about 6oz of breastmilk, and I'd guess we were gone for about four hours. Just enough for a movie and dinner. I've been pumping the milk into bottles the day that we plan on going out, and just keeping them in the fridge. I've only been away from him a couple of times, and I never really left my other kids until they were off the breast... but since I plan on nursing him to about 18 mos or so, I'm definately going to want to get away more often.