Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Awake and not nursing

Question Awake and not nursing

My son is now six week old. For the past two weeks he doesn't want to sleep during the day. He can stay "awake and play" for most of the day. I cannot tell when he's hungry. I see him licking his lips and/or hands waving (but then I heard that this is also "active play"), but when I try to nurse him the following happens:
    1. he won't eat,
    2. or if he does he'll nurse for 5 mins (but it's more like nibbles), fall asleep, then i put him to bed, and he wakes up screaming, nurse for another 5mins, fall asleep, put to bed, wake up screaming etc.
    3. or he'll nurse for more than 1 hour, and still be awake. I tried feeding him at 3 hours (start to start), but he won't nurse!

His diapers is wet and poopy, and is gaining weight (at birth 5lb 10 oz, at 4 weeks was 8lb 7 oz). I just don't know how to tell when he is hungry, and is it normal for a 6 week old to stay awake for most of the day? Am I not feeding him enough, is that why he stays awake?

Thanks

Default Re: Awake and not nursing

I can't answer about the nursing cause my DD always wanted toeat every three hours, but she also was a baby who was awake a lot during the day. She was just so interested in what was going on around her that she wouldn't sleep unless she was in a dark quiet room. Maybe you can black out his nursery and keep things quiet while he is asleep...also, a lot of time babies that young wake themselves up just as they are drifting off in to REM sleep cause their little bodies give a jolt (after about 20 min), so make sure your LO is swaddled really tight (if he likes that), and that can sometime help them to make it past the 20 minute sleep mark. The baby Whisperer has some good tips on getting babies to sleep without crying....oh also, my DD loved to suck and a pacifier really helped to clam her and get her to sleep without nursing....HTH

her is a link for hunger cues
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/bas...nger-cues.html
    here is a link for newborn babies and sleep
    http://www.kellymom.com/pantley/pantley03.html

Thanks for your advice and links! I'm glad that my DS is not the only one staying awake all the time! I went to a BF Clinic at my hospital as I was concerned about his eating/sucking habits, and he's gained more than 1 lb in 1.5 weeks. I guess he is eating. I'm so glad I found this forum, as it's helped me realize that i'm not the only one out there with similar questions/issues! Thanks for your help!

I don't have any additional info about the feeding, because my ds ate quite a bit - and there was no mistaking the cues! But, he was awake what seemed like ALL day. He slept long stretches at night, but he was just up & soaking the world in. He watched everything, listened to everything . . . you could tell his wheels were just turning. He usually wasn't fussy during the day, either. I remember once receiving something in the mail that said a baby his age should be sleeping 6 - 8 hours a day. I freaked! My son was napping nowhere that! He's a great napper now but it took us a while to get him there. He still does not require much sleep, which his a total bummer for me! :-)

Sounds like he's getting plenty to eat if he's gaining . . . my little guy gained 2 pounds a month until he was 6 months, and then he starting slowing down.

I did a seesaw with my DD. At first I was offering to nurse everytime she cried and she often wasn't interested, so then I quit offerering at every whimper and was shocked a few times that she DID want to nurse but it was the last thing I offered. As she has gotten older (now almost 3 mos), it is easier to tell what she wants. Just give yourself and your babe time to get to know each other! If his weight gain is good, no worries.