Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question For Working Moms

Default Re: Question For Working Moms

As a working mom I could not take one friday off a month, so I would either have to find some one for that day (more $$ out of my pocket) or find someone else. I hate to say it, but maybe you could find someone to fill in like pp said. But I would want to approve them.
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

Yeah, I would love to be able to get someone in here to help out, but right now it's just not working out. I just thought I'd toss the idea out - I don't have to go to the LLL meetings - I've got you ladies, after all !

I've had all these kids since before LO came along, so they all knew up front that I would need time off for dr. appts. and such, but none of them BF so I don't think they'd understand too much.
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!

It is def a stinky situation, are there evening or weekend meetings? I hate for you to give that up completely
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

That would be too much for my family and we would switch...HOWEVER...I'm sure there are people that would be able to work with that, and your family should come first.

Our LLL here in Bryan/College Station has a day meeting and a night meeting. Do you have a night meeting you could go to?
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

I would only choose a daycare who have the same days off as me. I don't want to have to worry about finding someone to watch my baby while I'm at work. It's only once a month, but it's a headache to me.

I would say talk to the moms of the babies you sit and ask for their opinion. Or start off the new year with a calendar and from the start let the parents know your days off in advance.

We don't have any evening LLL meeting in my area, unfortunately. I like to think of myself as being very flexible - I am available Mon - Fri from 6 am until 6 pm. I do sometimes watch kids on the weekends and during the evenings also, depending on the circumstances. All of the kids I watch have older sibling that I care for during the school year only, when school is out - like snow days and such. I only charge $10 per day for older siblings - so most of the parents never have a problem when I do have to close. And I always let them know at least 3 weeks in advance.

I'm not state certified (was going to- but that's a whole other post!!!) so I'm not quite as formal as others, but I do want to be as professional as possible. I'd really like to go to the meetings, but it really isn't necessary that I go. But I guess my problem is, and has been since I started watching kids, how do I balance putting my family first when I am also entrusted with these other kids? KWIM? I mean, obviously there are many differences between an actual daycare center, and in-home care. Parents choose based on what is best for their family and child. But when you choose an in-home DCP you know up front that you are placing your child with that person AND their family. Yes, they are paying me for my services, if you will, but if I am making those sevices more available, more flexible and much less expensive than a center, shouldn't I be given a little flexibility in return? I mean, there are no benefits like a real job- no medical, no sick pay, no paid vacations, no breaks (well-I gotta give it up for naptime!!!) So shouldn't they respect the fact that this is a family environment, with a real family with real needs, just like their own?
    I've only had to advertise in the paper once, back when I first started. I have a waiting list over a year long. Obviously these parents really like me and what I do for their kids. So where do you draw the line?
    Gosh, sorry this is sooo long and rambling. I got on a roll. I guess it's really not so much the LLL meetings as it is finding that balance. oh well . . .
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!

I'm also a daycare provider. I had to shift my thinking after I started. I'm not doing this (daycare) as a favor to these moms, it is a business. Like any other. My business just happens to be children. So, while I'm playful and fun and happy with the children, I'm professional with the parents. It's what they need and expect. I don't ask for anything in return, except what's in my contract (major holidays off, etc), and I don't expect them to allow me to take off work for fun stuff.

In addition, I've reached out to other home childcare providers in the area, and together, we've established a coalition of providers. One of the benefits of being in this group is that if one of us needs to be closed for medical, vacation, whatever, we can place the children in our daycare with some of the other daycares, temporarily. No money is exchanged, we exchange hours, like in a babysitting coop. That way, parents know that their child has care, even if I can't be there. We can choose which providers we send our children to, and have the option of saying no to another provider who calls for backup care (due to being full, previous plans, whatever), but it's a great group to be part of. And, we provide support to each other, much like breastfeeding moms do during LLL meetings.

Maybe you can start up a similar arrangement in your area, so that the parents of your daycare children aren't left without childcare when you need/want to be closed for a bit?

I just went through the hard task of finding daycare, and I couldn't have gone with someone who took a day off a month. I have a good job with lots of time off, but I want to use my time off for when she's sick and when I need a vacation. 12 extra times a year would mean no vacation.
    I think you should appeal to the local LLL folks to have an evening meeting. You're a working mom, and that shouldn't mean you can't enjoy going to a meeting and talking to real live people. Groups for moms that don't meet in the evenings have always seemed very rude to me. Some of us have to work, but still want the info/bonding with other moms.

I hate to say it but as a working mom I would agree with the PP. Taking off once a month (in addition to my LO's doc appts or getting sick) would upset my boss a good bit. Maybe someone at the LLL meeting would be willing to help you out so you could bring the kids to the meeting as a fieldtrip?
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk