Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question For Working Moms

Default Question For Working Moms

Hi ladies -

I am a SAHM, I babysit four toddlers during the day. My LOs dr. is an hour away, so I always close daycare for the day when she has a dr appointment. So far, it's just been the well checks I've closed for. I would really like to go to the local LLL meetings here where I live, but I can't take all the kids with me. As working moms, do you think I would be unreliable if I were to close daycare once a month in order to make it to the meetings? Would you understand, or would you find another sitter?

I don't have anyone else to watch the kids while I am gone. So what do you working moms think?
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!

Default Re: Question For Working Moms

I should also mention that our LLL mettings are on Fridays, and I usually try to schedule LOs appt. for Friday as well. This means a 3 day weekend - is that taking to much time once a month??
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

I personally believe that you should have a life. If I take a vacation day, my nanny gets the same day. She sometimes have to leave early for appts too and she goes. It's important to me and my lo that she cares for herself and to me, once a month close is not a big deal.

Are we talking early close or just closed for the whole day?

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Closed for the whole day. I used to never close for anything- not even holidays or prenatal visits - nothing, and some of the parents started taking advantage of that. Plus, it gets a little confusing with the money thing when I only close for half a day. So, I now close for some holidays and LOs dr appointments.
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

I do know that I am at least $20 per week cheaper than most in the area, plus I provide all meals and snacks and beverages. I never charge overtime or late fees, either. I think I deserve to take off on occassion, but DH thinks it's not really necessary for the LLL meetings.
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

hmm...not sure. if it just becomes a policy then i guess they can exercise their right togo elsewhere. this is a tuffie. maybe another momma will come along w/ a fresh view. good luck.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Hi:
    As a working mom, I'd say that is too much time off for me.

Especially if you have a child/children who get sick often ( I did-despite that benefit of nursing!). It would be too much time off if I had to take off for my kiddos sick days, doctor appointments etc and then in addition to those, another day each month. That would be tough on moms that don't get much sick time, don't get paid for days off, or who just have grumpy, inflexible bosses, too.

But you need to do what is right for you. Your daycare, whatever hours you run it for, will be a good fit for someone out there. Especially if you are a little cheaper and offer all those wonderful perks.

I think a lot of moms couldn't do it. I would probably be OK at my current job but it would be tough - I would need to work ten-hour days that week each month to get my full paycheck, but my DH's old job only received 14 days off all year, for sick time and vacation time. Keeping you as a day care provider wouldn't even be an option for moms with his kind of schedule, and if we were both still working (he quit to be a SAHD), we would probably choose not to use a daycare that closed one non-holiday workday each month. I would only do it if you can handle a decrease in enrollment until moms who have more flexibility find you and take the places of those who leave.

Is there anything you can offer moms to help them locate replacement care for that day? If you hand moms a list of other options for childcare on days when the day care is closed, they will be much more receptive to working with your schedule, since it won't be as much work and time for them to adjust.

Sorry, I have to agree. As a teacher I do not have the option of taking a day off every month. The option of my DH staying home is nonexistant as his job doesn't pay if he is not there and he has a good job, but this is not a benefit. Maybe if you hired someone to work with you and that person was able to be the one there the day you wanted to be gone that might be an option to consider, but my kids would need to be VERY familiar with that person. Sorry, this is a toughie for all working moms, including you. I do think you deserve to close for holidays though.

This is a toughie with no right or wrong. My DCP (in home) has a sub. Maybe you can work something out. Or like a pp said - schedule dr. appointments on the same say as LLL meetings.

But - once a month would be a little irritating to me.