Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Latching issues

Default Latching issues

My right nipple is pretty short and even though I know babies breastfeed not nipple feed Abby has a hard time getting enough in her mouth and I can feel her tongue flicking the tip of my nipple when she latches on. She tends to pull off a lot and relatch at the beginning of the feed. Once she gets going it's ok but it bothers me and my nipple is pretty sore. Her jaw is tight and it's really hard to get her to open big enough.

I have been trying some gum massage on her lower jaw and some suck training but it doesn't seem to be helping so far.

Do you all have any ideas or experience with this? I am battling thrush as well and my nipple hurts pretty badly. I did get some of Dr. Newman's APNO for my nips and it's helping but OUCH!

TIA
    Shana

Default Re: Latching issues

Have you tried getting in touch with your local LLL leader for help? She might have a better chance (being able to see what's going on) of helping. She might suggest a breast shell to help draw the nipple out more. Also, you might try pumping some if you have a breastpump before nursing to draw the nipple out more. Hang in there! We had problems at first too, but it's going great for us now. It can for you too!

Agree with the nipple shield. Make sure you talk to someone about the size of your nipple before you buy one, and when you do, place the vents upwards or your shirt will get soaked.

I had a lot of the same problems you had. I have small nipples in general, and my left one was flat at first. My lo also had a hard time latching on that side. In the beginning, I couldn't get her to open her mouth wide enough, and she had a tendency to have a tight jaw or clamp down. Then around 4 weeks or so, we found out that we had thrush. I was ready to throw in the towel even though i was really committed to bf. My nipples were soooo sore and I had blisters on both of them. The thrush definitely contributed a lot to the pain and soreness.

What helped me a lot was meeting with a LLL leader. She spent almost two hours with us on a weekend, checking our latch and helping to make it better. Getting my lo to latch better made a huge difference. Even though I still had blisters, I was able to bf without a pain and without a shield. Also, once the thrush went away, i realized how much of the nipple soreness also was due to thrush.

Right around 6 weeks, my lo began hitting her stride. She just got better and better at it, and now at 10 weeks, she is still bf, which makes me so happy.

Hang in there. there will be payoff soon. but get help and support. it really can make a difference.

I also have very flat nipples. I have to basically squeeze my areola to cram as much into his mouth as possible. And that works.

You arent the only one wiht flat and small nipples. I am a big breasted woman with tiny little buttons for nipples. I never knew I had them until I was watching BF videos to make sure my DS was latching properly.

I dont use shields personally - but my lo is an excellent latcher. I find squishing the areola down around the nipple perfect for giving DS enough of the breast to latch onto. It is amazing how easy it can get once you and your lo have the experience. I only get sore nipples when he hitsa growth spurtand gets fussy on the breast (or decides to play tug of war) I do envy the women with 'normal' nipples tho

Thanks so much for the replies ladies! Things are getting better thank the Lord!