Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sudden Engorgement at 7 weeks

Default Sudden Engorgement at 7 weeks

I am fairly well versed in lactation but this has stumped me. I have a 7 1/2 week old and have experienced severe engorgement the last 3 or 4 days. I have never been engorged before, not even after her birth. Her eating really hasn't changed that much. Maybe an extra couple minutes here and there. She is sleeping through the night (5 hours or more) but the engorgement lasts all day. I try to get her to nurse just to relieve the uncomfortableness.

She is colicky with gas badly and I am under stress (we just moved) but I am doing a fairly good job of using my help and sitting to relax, sleep and nurse. Please Help!

signingspangler@yahoo.com

THANKS!

Default Re: Sudden Engorgement at 7 weeks

boy I wouldn't want to have to move with a 7 week old baby.
    It's not fun. They can sence your stress also!
    The more often you feed the beter the engorgment is going to get.
    ARe you running a fever?
    If you are get into bed and just nurse the baby untill you feal beter, you don't want a plugged duct or worse!
    Sometime just 6 hours or more of resting/nursing will help.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/engorgement.html

Do you have a pump? Have you tried pumping off a SMALL amount to make yourself more comfortable?

You need to reduce the stress. I had mastitis 3 times within the first year my child was born. I always noticed that it occurred right after my husband and I had a major fight. I always feel very stressed out when we argue. So I learned that I had to calm down if my stress levels were going up. Either go for a walk, take a nap, whatever you need to do.

-Lauren