Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I prefer to use my nipple shield!

Default I prefer to use my nipple shield!

I finally at 5 weeks, weaned my daughter off the shield, but my nipples have been soooooooooooooo sore for like 4 days!! Finally today, I put the shield back on and there was no pain! What should I do?

Default Re: I prefer to use my nipple shield!

Were they just at the beginning of nursing or did the hurt the whole time? Did it get worse the longer you nursed?

I used the nipple shield up until 6 months. When I took it off I got so sore I prefered using it as well. Finally at 6 months DS started pulling it off and latched on w/o it. Since then we have free of it and I had no soreness at all. Good luck.
    C:\Documents and Settings\David Lawrence\My Documents\My Pictures\DSC00970.jpg
    Mommy to Alexander
    Born Oct 6,2006

I weaned my LO off the shield at 3 months, and went thru a week or two of major soreness. I think it's normal...the shield pulls the nipple out in a different way than regular nursing does. Do you have some lanolin? I would use a tiny dab of that, same amount as you would use chapstick. Hang in there...it does get better! I think I used the shield for a feeding or two when it got really bad, but eventually worked it out entirely.
    3rd baby, first nursling! Lauren 1/17/07

When I weaned off the shield, I used it for some feedings, or for part of a feeding. That helped with the soreness. But, those first few days after the shield is totally gone HURT! I think it's because your actual nipple is being pulled more than usual. It does pass after a while. Hang in there!

Just make sure LO's latch is good. (I'm in this same boat--DD is 6weeks today)
    I was inadvertantly causing nipple trauma with my breast pump and I don't think DD ever had a really good latch....So I've just gone back to the nipple shield to have my nipples heal (they had tiny scalple looking cuts on them) And here recently....I've nursed her for 10 mins with the shield then immediately 10 more minutes w/o the shield (I have a 24mm shield---and her mouth will open wide enough for the 'quick slip' really good latch on----and it ensures me that she gets the really good breast milk fat at the latter part of the feeding.)

I wish for you the best at this "figuring out stage" We're here for you

Blue