Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: difficult day

Default difficult day

Hi all,
    I'm not sure if I have a real question or just need some support. We had been having a problem with ds becoming extremely fussy while nursing, which the lactation consultant thought was likely oald. So, per her suggestion, I am nursing him twice on the same side, then going to the other side at the next feeding. We started that yesterday. Today he has not slept at all except for little catnaps while nursing, and he has been nursing the whole day. Every time I think he's done, its only minutes before he's got his tongue going again in the feed me motion. And he was completely inconsollable this evening - nothing I tried worked to calm him down. What is going on? I feel like a terrible mother for not knowing if he's starving, gassy, overtired, wants to comfort suck, or what. On top of that, we have guests this weekend, and since he's been fussily nursing all day I can't really do it in front of people, so I've been shut in the bedroom all day with an upset baby while everyone else is outside. I don't know what to do and am so frustrated!
    Thanks for listening - my husband doesn't get why I'm upset, which is driving me nuts!

Default Re: difficult day

How old is he?

Oops, he's 9 wks

Hmm..... It could be a growth spurt. Or teething. Or various other things. I know sometimes it's hard to feel like all you do is nurse(believe me, I understand). But... Most likely this is a temporary thing. I'd just go with it. If the boob makes him happy, give him a boob
    Why are you in your room? I always nurse when we have company. I don't want to miss the party just because the baby needs to eat. Shoot, I'd never leave the house if I didn't nurse wherever whenever.

Quote Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post
    Why are you in your room? I always nurse when we have company. I don't want to miss the party just because the baby needs to eat. Shoot, I'd never leave the house if I didn't nurse wherever whenever.
    I hope to get to that point... he fusses by pulling on and off the boob, so its impossible to keep things covered, plus I'm still kinda shy about the whole thing I think I just need to practice a little more...

I'm so sorry to hear about your stressful day. We have a 9 week LO too. We went through a nursing frenzy last week and I felt the same way, I couldn't make it home fom the grocery store LO was so upset that I had to nurse in the parking lot.

It passed right away but one of the days my older son had a preschool graduation that I couldnt miss for the world so I brought out some of the stored milk and let DH give a bottle for the in between feeding feedings Do you have anything saved that you can use until a better time to pump after company has gone?

PP is proabably right about a growth spurt and I know my LO just found out that hands were made for sucking 2 weeks ago so he seems hungry all day when really he just loves to put his fingers in his mouth and suck on them.

Thanks for the reply. How do you tell the difference between hunger and the desire to comfort suck?? I'd feel better if I didn't htink he was starvingg every time he sucked on his fist!

well on the breast I can tell when he is comfort sucking by how hard and fast he sucks. He bores easily with an empty breast when hungry and gets really fussy and pulls off a lot. But when comfort eating I can tell the breast is empty and he is falling asleep anyway.

When he is sucking his fists (so cute), he gets frustrated if he is hungry... like 'hey I'm sucking this hand but no milk is coming out' but when he is just sucking, he can go to town for 20 minutes with all this loud sucking and never gets mad. Do you guys use a bink at all?

No, I don't... I'm worried that he'll actually be hungry and I'll just be giving him a binky. This is my first, and I don't have any prior experience with babies, so I'm usually feeling a little clueless about what he wants Plus I'm a bit paranoid because I never think that he's getting enough to eat (before today's marathon, he never ate the recommended 8-12 times a day), although he gains plenty of weight.

My Gabe is on the breast for what feels like 12 hours straight. He just likes the comfort of the boob. Usually when he starts squirming at the breast and unlatching and relatching I try burping him- if it continues after a burp I switch breasts. I have had days when I switched him 5 times in a 30 minute period. I like to think he is upping my supply - but honestly my DS wants to suck all the time (rarely naps during the day) and only my boob will do