Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sling and breastfeeding pillows for tall girls?

Default Sling and breastfeeding pillows for tall girls?

Hi! I am new to this forum, this is a great resource of information!

I'm looking to buy a sling- I'm tall 5'11" and want to be able to carry my little guy around. Any suggestions?

Also, I'm finding that my "Boppy" pillow isn't tall enough for my long torso when I'm b/f, has anyone else had this problem? I'd love any suggestions- I've been sitting with my legs under my body to make the pillow high enough and my knees are starting to hurt!

Thank you

Wendy

Default Re: Sling and breastfeeding pillows for tall girls?

I am also 5'11"...so I feel your pain! For a sling, I bought 5.5 yards of material, cut it to 30" wide, hemmed the sides and use it as a wrap sling. It works very well. If you needed instructions to wrap it, I found that peppermint.com has great instructions with pictures...I don't really use my boppy anymore either because I had the same problem, it is just not tall enough. I either have to slouch over (which doesn't help at all with back pain!) or tuck my legs under it...you could try some pillows to get the baby to the right height, I've done that before...that way you can use as many as necessary to get the right height. Other than that, I guess I don't know...I'll be watching this thread for some more ideas too!! Hope this helps!

I had my mom make a boppy pillow that was just right for us from a pattern.
    you could also try bed pillows. At night I used 2 pillows stuffed in to one big pillow case. Hey what ever works you have to do.
    For a sling I made one myself the hardest part is putting the rings on. There are lots of free patterns on-line.
    I liked my unpadded sling best when my dd was small, it was easier to adjust.
    I made one with a extra long "tail" and then I could use that extra fabric to cover up her head in the sun.

I'm tall too and had the same problem with the boppy. Sometimes I can get the right height if I sit cross legged with a pillow in the low spot (usually a throw pillow) and then put the boppy on top of that. But it's weird, because sometimes the next day it doesn't work!

I ended up ordering a "My Brest Friend" and it is much better for me! It tightens around your waist so you can keep it up high. I still stuff things underneath it, but it isn't as flimsy as the Boppy! Just an idea...