Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need Help!!

Default Need Help!!

Good Evening Everyone.

I have a 4 week old son. I am not sure what is going on but we are both really fustrated. He nurses all day long... He will nurse for 15 min or so pass out then wake up screaming like i have been starving him.. we do this all day long untill we have both had enough... I then give him some expressed milk and pump and he seems fine... Does anyone have a clue of what might be going on... or any suggestions ???

Default Re: Need Help!!

Sounds like a baby to me!
    Really, that's all quite normal. But I will say you're likely making the situation worse by pumping and supplementing. Just nurse. Things will get easier.

How long b/w nursing and how many wet diapers? When you pump, are you getting as much out as you are giving LO in the bottle?

We were nursing all day at 4 weeks and I believe now it was a week-long growth spurt. 4 weeks for us was all still eating and sleeping. What is different about his behavior after the bottle that you aren't seeing after nursing?
    Last edited by jlko; May 27th, 2007 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jlko View Post
    How long b/w nursing and how many wet diapers? When you pump, are you getting as much out as you are giving LO in the bottle?

We were nursing all day at 4 weeks and I believe now it was a week-long growth spurt. 4 weeks for us was all still eating and sleeping. What is different about his behavior after the bottle that you aren't seeing after nursing?

Yes, I get as much out of the pump as I give him with a bottle, so I do not believe it is a supply issue... It is just that after a bottle he seems to be satisfied for a few hours, but with nursing we run on twenty min cycles all day long.. He aslo doesn't wake up screaming after a bottle the way he does during nursing.. so I am just wondering if something is going wrong somewhere or is this completely normal??

Completely normal. Respect that your child is working on instinct. He smells you and instinctively NEEDS to suck. He's designed that way to get your supply to meet his demand. The only way to do that, especially in the beginning is nurse around the clock. We all were living in our PJ's with our butts glued to the couch for the 1st 6weeks AT LEAST. It's normal. Just accept it and know that as grueling as it is, you will blink your eyes and this time will be gone and you will wish you savored it more. This period of time where you are establishing your nursing relationship is crucial and when you turn around they crawl, then walk, the RUN away. Sit on the couch and stare into your LO's eyes all day long. It's the 1st step in cultivating trust. Letting him know that you are there to meet his needs.
    Also remember that even if you hold/nurse your baby for 12hours a day, that's still a 50% reduction in what he's used to. He is used to being with you/in you/on you 24/7. To be away from you for any length of time this early in the game can be very traumatic for a newborn. Breastfeeding lets them know you are still very much connected. So grab the remote, some water and some snacks and let the rest of it go. Housework,laundry, it''ll all still be there once you and your baby get your supply regulated. Stay focused Mama. Your doing fine.

Way too lazy for formula

I don't think I could of said it any better then DJ's Mom. Everything is normal. Keep up the great work mama!

Hey! I exclusively pump and my baby does the same thing the few times I have tried to nurse him (My little one is 7 weeks old). He'll latch on and drink for about ten minutes and then scream bloody murder like he hasn't been fed at all. But when I give him a bottle of breast milk he is a much happier baby!

I had some early problems breast feeding and decided to pump exclusively because I still want him to get all that good breast milk. In the hospital he seemed happier with a bottle and I was happy because he was happy. I just wanted to respond because pumping full time is a pain in the you know what!!! Take the advice of the moms that nurse. I have no regrets about pumping for my beautiful boy, but boy is it time consuming!