Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: so sad, may have to give up already

Default Re: so sad, may have to give up already

This happened to me in the beginning as well. My LO was very tired due to jaundice. One helpful thing for me was to put some diaper wipes in the fridge. I'd pull one out for each feeding, and when LO fell asleep I'd gently press the wipe onto her face or neck. It does work.

dont give up and like pp kellymom.com is a GREAT site will answer alot

DO NOT GIVE UP!!!

May I suggest an alternative. Now this is by no means an easy way out, in fact in some ways it's harder than breastfeeding, but have you considered exclusively pumping breast milk? I had similar problems with my little one at the hospital. Our first day my sweet baby nursed really well, and often, but by the second day he was completely out of it. He slept for 16 hours straight and I couldn't wake him up to eat. When his blood sugar dropped that was it, I had had enough watching him go through this. I gave him formula and got a breast pump. I've been renting and using a hospital grade breast pump since (it's been 7 weeks).

Pumping is like feeding twice. It's hard work! Plus you have clean up upkeep of the machine, but it's worth it because my LO is happy! My baby, is very alert and content eating from a bottle, he is definitely not a sleepy baby! Eating from the breast is hard work and although the logical part of me understood that everything that was happening was normal the emotional part of me could not stand to see him struggle. For me it was the right choice.

I would not enter into this lightly, but if you have the support system, time and patience I would say to go for it. I have my wonderful husband's support and he wakes up many nights to feed our LO. He also spends play time with our LO while I pump. Thoroughly research into it and if it works for you, then it works for you. So far it's worked for me!

Thank you all,
    I called the lactation consultant about stopping. She gave me some doable tips. I think I may try them. The hardest part is that DH will question why. I'm still not sure I'll stick with this. I fell like I need to try everything before I quit. So that I will know I did my best. I just want to enjoy this baby too. Not be stressed and both of us crying all the time anymore.
    Thanks again,
    At least I am not completely alone on this.