Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What is "normal" nursing like? (vent)

Default What is "normal" nursing like? (vent)

I have OS and OALD and I have been block feeding (2 hours) for the last month. DS symptoms are getting a little better (less gassy, normal looking stool), but I still have to use 2 burpcloths to catch all the milk when I nurse, there is still milk all over his face when he feeds, he still chokes a little...

I'm getting really tired of this. Should I go for longer when I blockfeed? What is "normal" nursing like? Do babies with moms who dont have OS just nurse "nice and neat?" Do these babies clothes get soaked with milk too? This is making it impossible for me to learn how to NIP. Not mention he is 6 weeks and I still cannot even begin to learn how to nurse him without my nursing pillow (I always have to position him so he is on his side so the milk will dribble down). I have to bring my pillow with me whenever I go anywhere in case he gets hungry and right now he feeds every 1.5 - 2 hours. I tried to nurse once in cradle position and the milk was dribbling down his mouth and throat and he was choking something awful

I was thinking about blockfeeding for longer but honestly my breast feels so empty after I offer it to him for the second feeding and he doesnt seem satisfied. Its almost as if he is used to the large volume.

What is the goal of block feeding? Is it so the milk isnt so abundant and it wont gush all over the place? I would love to nurse DS one day without have to put a bib on him and use burpcloths all the time.

I'm just looking for some advice and support.

Default Re: What is "normal" nursing like? (vent)

mama!

Things are a little rough now, I know. Many moms find that their problems with OALD and OS get better as baby gets older. In the beginning your body makes enough milk for an army. Most of the time it takes a good 4-6 weeks to establish BF and figure out that there is no army to feed, just one sweet little baby! So hang in there and things may turn the corner.

The purpose block feeding is to slow down production. Leaving the breasts unstimulated for a longer period of time sends the message to slow down production and make less milk.

Some moms do find they have to use 3, 4, or rarely 5 or 6 hour blocks of time before they see a difference.

HTH!

I have no advice, having never dealt with this, but I have for you. It sounds frustrating! Hopefully, things will even themselves out for you soon.

This might be more annoying than carrying the pillow around... but I have noticed if I keep DD moving she nurses more slowly. I am not sure if it just calms her more or if it required more concentration on her part to rock and swallow at the same time. When I NIP I find a chair, use the cradle hold, and rock her back and forth. I still get milk everywhere (but I have OALD and OS). I put a big bib on DD to catch the overflow that spills from her mouth and wear a nursing cami with another shirt on top. The cami is often a little wet with milk and the other shirt hides that when I am out an about.
    I also try to cath her when she is still 1/2 asleep so she eats more slowly but that doesn't always work. DD is also doing the 1.5-2hour thing. I was doing 4-6 hour blocks but I have recently shortened them to ~2hours.
    ...to you! I think my LO is about 1 month older than your LO and I have noticed that my OALD and OS issues are getting much more manageable lately - I hope a change is coming your way soon!
    HTH

I know it's so overwhelming and sometimes so frustrating in the beginning!! Really, at 6 weeks it's still so early. I know you feel like you've been at this forever, but just wait...there's more! And it's soooo much easier & better!

OALD generally evens out by the time the 2 or 3 month mark hits. During that time, you'll also hit a growth spurt. This means that on top of OALD, you'll be dealing with a nursling who's going 24/7 for a day or two. I tell you this just to prepare you The really, really good news is that usually after that growth spurt things seem to even out. I had OALD, though admittedly not as much as it seems you have, and once it evened out at 3 months nursing in public became much less of a hassle.

FWIW, I didn't stop using a nursing pillow or some sort of prop until DD was 3.5 to 4 months old. Seriously, give yourself some time and in a couple months you won't even remember these trying times!

You're doing a great job, mama!!

You'll make it. It does get easier. The babies are doing much better, (they are five months now) and my supply is basically what they need, only a little more. The let down can still be a little freaky. My daughter decided to have a fit over it at church this morning. I do what the previous poster said. I always wear a nursing tank with a top over it. The baby who eats second is the lucky one. Everything is settled down by then. I usually keep an extra prefold cloth diaper under my breast and under the baby's chin. It absorbs almost anything I throw at myself. Six weeks was actually about the worst for all of us. We now nurse everywhere. You can do it!
    Mommie to big sister Eszter, and twinnies Sophia and Josiah

Thanks for the support everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ's Mommy View Post
    Thanks for the support everyone!
    I'm glad you feel supported here!

Thanks for coming!