Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: losing supply...when pumping

Cool losing supply...when pumping

Hello! I'm new to this board. I'm a mom of 2 children. My daughter is 3 years old and my son is 5 months old. I breastfed my daughter for a year and loved it. I am finding that I am having supply problems. I love nursing so much, but am also not against formula. My son has been getting 1 - 2 bottles a day of formula from caregivers and is doing fine.

My question is this: Is it possible to nurse in the am, work (without pumping), then nurse in the evening? Will my evening supply be effected because I'm not pumping throughout the day? I still want to nurse whenever I am with the baby. My supply is dwindling with pumping and I'm losing my "stash". It's very difficult to continue pumping at work. My concern is that if I go Mon - Fri without pumping for the 10am or 1pm feeding , by Sat my body will think I stopped nursing for that feeding and not supply the milk when I wish to nurse him.

Does this make sense? I feel quite naive about all this. Things went pretty smoothly the last time I nursed (my daughter). Any advice would be so very appreciated.

Thanks...

Default Re: losing supply...when pumping

Many mothers have found that the situation you're describing - nurse in the mornings and evenings, and all weekend, but no pumping at work.

They usually find that they make enough milk to feed their baby on the weekend, although baby may be working harder to get a letdown.

Your body will definitely adjust to the morning and evening feedings, without a problem. The first few days without pumping during the day, you may experience some engorgement, and on Mondays after you've been nursing all weekend.

You can try it and see how it works for you. If you decide that it's impacting your supply too much, you can go back to pumping during the workday. One pumping session may be enough to keep your supply up for the weekends.

Play around with it, and find what works for you.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!