Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Vitamin Supplement?

Default Vitamin Supplement?

My DS is 4 weeks, was diagnosed with reflux at birth, but is doing well exclusively bf'ing (no supplements as of yet). At his 2 week well visit the Ped gave us a perscription for a vitamin D supplement. He said many women have a deficiency so instead of testing everyone they just give the supplement. My DD who is now 2 was also BF and I never heard of such a thing with her. Has anyone heard of this? Is it really necessary?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Vitamin Supplement?

There's differing opinions on this. The AAP recommends a supplement. We've chosen not to. I feel that breastmilk contains everything my baby needs at this point in his life, and do not want to add anything else. We also do spend a fair amount of time outside, so he can get Vit. D from the sun. If we lived in Alaska, maybe I would feel the need for the supplement.

There doesn't seem to be an agreement in the medical community regarding vitamin D supplementation. Doctors seem to recommend it more for colder climates where babies have less sun exposure.
    I have to think that if breastmilk is the perfect first food, then it has everything that your baby needs.

Our pedi. said poly-vi-sol or tri-vi-sol (sp?)... we give it and it is the first I've been told to do it. Our 5 year old never had it but I don't see harm in giving vitamins to LO. We were told a dropper a day but we only give half a dropper b/c we never did it before. It smells awful but LO still sucks it down w/o any problems. Sorry I don't have any medical input, only opinion.

We were told also to give the vitamin suppliment. My LO HATES it and chokes on it.
    I mean, is it nessisary?

We also have been giving our son (nine weeks) Poly-Vi-Sol since his four-week checkup. It smells awful and takes two washes to get it out if you spill it (unfortunately I've had a lot of experience with this!), but he doesn't seem to mind it. We mix it with an ounce of breast milk and give it in a bottle.

I haven't looked into this in a while. But, 3 1/2 years ago when my sister-in-law who is in med school was pressuring us about Vitamin D suppliments, I went to the store to check them out. They were all made by companies who make formula. So I figured it was just hype put out by the companies. They figured they weren't selling formula to families who choose to breastfeed, so they could scare us into buying some other product. We never used Vitamin D supplements.

-Lauren

Our doc said it was truely up to us, if we felt DS needed it. If you take your LO outside or put them where they are exposed to the sun on JUST their head and hands for 15 minutes a day they get allt he Vit.D they need is what I read on another thread a few months ago. We take DS outside whenever we can, if it's warm but raining we go out on the front porch so he still gets his sun. He also likes to lay on the floor infront of the bay window so I don't see the need to give him any suppliments. If I lived ina place that didn't get much sun at all I might supplement, but anywhere other than that why bother?

If you really want to know if your LO needs it, could you ask your Ped/Doc to run a test and see if it's necessary at your next checkup?
    Last edited by MeganBeth; May 28th, 2007 at 05:18 PM. Reason: added more

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

Thanks for all the replies, I guess it is just one of those things . . . I appreciate all the info!

Our ped said its not that necessary unless we felt that there was some problem with lo. We spend a lot of time outside plus babies don't need that much sunlight to fulfill their Vit D requirment. And I personally think most vitamins are crap. Your body doesn't absorb them very well and in my opinion breastmilk is everything our lo needs at this point in life.