Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nibbling at breast with eyes closed

Question Nibbling at breast with eyes closed

My LO is about 8 weeks and she will suck pretty good and then will slow down then nibble, at which point she kind of seems like she's asleep, is she done feeding at that breast and should I put her on the other one, or should I wait until she takes herself off the breast herself? I'm just not sure if she's actually eating when she's doing this nibbling thing...

Default Re: Nibbling at breast with eyes closed

Sounds like comfort nursing to me. You might want to try changing her diaper or tickling her toes to wake her up more and then offer her the 2nd breast. My LO does this a lot at night right before he goes to sleep. Sometimes when I try to ease him off that wakes him up enough to continue eating.

DS is 7.5 months and is doing that right now. He eats the naps on my lap.
    C:\Documents and Settings\David Lawrence\My Documents\My Pictures\DSC00970.jpg
    Mommy to Alexander
    Born Oct 6,2006

Hi! That's completely normal. My dd is almost 7 months, and has "comfort nursed" since birth. When she gets to that point, I switch her to the other boob, then let her fall asleep. Or you could just let your lo sleep and start with the other boob for the next feeding. Your lo will be fine--just make sure there are plenty of wet and poopie diapers, and that the poopie color stays a consistent yellow. If it's green, that means your lo isn't getting enough of the hindmilk and needs to stay on the breast longer. Enjoy the comfort nursing...when your baby starts to crawl, as mine's about to, you'll long for those snuggly days. HTH!
    for 1-1/2 years...and still going!