Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sore nipples!!

Default Sore nipples!!

I have been breastfeeding my 1month 4day old since birth... however, I recently stopped using the shield and she is now successfully nursing without it! BUT... ever since, my nipples are extremely sore... the first minute or so of feeding I want to cry from the pain... also, my let-down is painful and when I pump it hurts too. Is this normal???

Default Re: Sore nipples!!

Hi!!

For sore niples first of all you should check the latch. If the latch is ok and if the pain goes away after a few seconds, then it's totally normal. It will go away after a few weeks. I used Purelan cream for that and it helped me a lot! If the latch is not ok, then you should brake it until it's well latched. BF is not painful. You could ask a LC to go to your house and check how you are doing.

About the painful letdown. My DD is now 4 months old and I still feel the let-down but it's not painful, just uncomfortable.

Good luck!

Lasbi

You should call your local LLL leader(s). Like the previous poster said, it might be an improper latch. Even if you are not sure, it is always best to have someone experienced look at the latch. Breastfeeding should not be painful.

-Lauren

Hi there

Congratulations on weaning off the nipple shield!

Tell me a little more about the pain you're having. It's painful with latch-on and stops shortly into the feeding? As long as you're not experiencing any cracking/blistering/bleeding and the rest of the nursing session is painless, then it's probably okay. Many mothers report having this type of pain and it seems to go away after a couple of weeks. However, if you are having nipple damage and/or the pain continues, then it's definitely worth checking the latch. Have you been working with a LLL Leader or lactation consultant locally at all?

Let down can be intense for some women. Are you finding that your letdowns are more painful since you've stopped the shield? How exactly does it hurt when you are pumping? Any pain between nursing/pumping sessions?

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Just adding that in the beginning of breastfeeding a mother can experience some pain and discomfort initially as the nipple is stretched out by the baby. This sort of pain occurs in the beginning of the feed (first few minutes) and will go away after a minute or two, during nursing. It will not persist after nursing is over, and usually resolves itself after a week or two.

Quote Originally Posted by LLL LactoJen View Post
    Hi there

Congratulations on weaning off the nipple shield!

Tell me a little more about the pain you're having. It's painful with latch-on and stops shortly into the feeding? As long as you're not experiencing any cracking/blistering/bleeding and the rest of the nursing session is painless, then it's probably okay. Many mothers report having this type of pain and it seems to go away after a couple of weeks. However, if you are having nipple damage and/or the pain continues, then it's definitely worth checking the latch. Have you been working with a LLL Leader or lactation consultant locally at all?

Let down can be intense for some women. Are you finding that your letdowns are more painful since you've stopped the shield? How exactly does it hurt when you are pumping? Any pain between nursing/pumping sessions?

Jen
    Hi! The pain stops shortly after the latch on... maybe a minute or so... no cracks, bleeding or anything like that.. I've seen the LC's in the hospital and they all said that the latch looked good. Overall I think that my nipples may just be sensitive.
    As for the letdown, it has been painful with both the shield and no shield.
    As for the pumping, my nipples just feel sore when I pump. I dont have any real "pain" in between... just general soreness.

Hi there
    Okay, I'd say stick with it for a few more days and if it doesn't improve, then we need to talk again. I see it's been a few days since you posted your last. How are you doing today?
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!