Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: LetDown & low milk supply issues

Default LetDown & low milk supply issues

I'm bf'ing my 9month old. I have been having supply issues for the last 2 weeks. I've had milk supply issues before as well when I have my periods (but I was able to use the banked frozen milk during that time. But now I'm also running out on it). My supply dips quite a bit to miss around 2 feeds (around 8 oz.) of milk. Also, when I pump during this time (for almost a week before I get my periods and a week into my periods) the milk doesn't let down. It just trickles for a few minutes and stops after that. I seem to get some milk coming down only when my baby is put to the breast since her way of breast stimulation is more efficient than my pump (I use a hosipital grade pump - medala lactina pump). Since I work during the day I cannot directly nurse my baby during that time.

Is there anything I can do to make the milk let down when I pump and also to not have a dip in my milk supply for almost 2 weeks in a month? I have just started taking fenugreek since yes. day. I really don't want to supplement with formula.

Thanks.

Default Re: LetDown & low milk supply issues

My dd is also 9 months. I recently had a milk supply problem. I started drinking a tea called Mother's Milk (Traditional Medicinals). You can find it at your local health food store. It has fennel, aniseed, and coriander in it. I drink 3 cups a day. I don't know if it had a placebo effect or what, but my supply is up again.

To aid in let down at work, I post wallet sized pics of my baby girl all around my computer monitor. It really helps me. I also guzzle water while pumping. I call it the waterfall effect!

Good luck and try not to worry too much. I think worrying makes it worse.

Default Re: LetDown & low milk supply issues

Hi there,

May I ask you a few more questions?

First, how have things been the past few days since you first posted?
    How much EBM does dd take while you are apart?
    How often are you able to pump during that time? For how long?
    Have you had the pump checked?
    Has dd continually increased the amount of EBM she needs while away?
    Is she eating any solid foods?
    Does this just happen the week before and during your period but the rest of the time you get more milk?

Sorry for all of the questions. I just wanted to clarify with you.

I will wait to hear back from you.