Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9 month old, low supply

Default 9 month old, low supply

For the past two months, my 9 month old has been nursing less and less. At 7 months he decided he didn't want to nurse at all during the day with an occasional nurse before a nap. He would arch his back and push away and start screaming if I tried to nurse him. I know his teeth have been bothering him since about 7 months. At 8 months he went on a nursing strike for about a week. I had to pump but I could sneak 2-3 feedings in during the night. If he'd wake up then it was back to pushing me away. At 9 months, he came down with a fever and started to nurse again and then he got an ear infection and congestion and stopped nursing again. At night I can get him to nurse, although poorly. His latch isn't too good at night because his teeth are really making me quite sore! The only times I can pump are when he naps (9AM & 1PM) or is sleeping at night because he'd tear my pump apart if he saw me with it plus he wants 100% of my attention! He doesn't eat much solids--much less than his friends the same age. When I pump, I used to be able to get about 4 oz, now I'm lucky if I get 1oz. He won't take formula. He will drink EM, water and juice from a sippy cup but he doesn't drink much--like 1 oz at a time. He will nurse now before his naps (although poorly) and throughout the night so things are improving in that regard but he is very upset because he is not getting much. He never nurses for more than 5 minutes a side. He is only actually getting milk (swallowing) for about 30 seconds.
    I introduced baby cereal at 4 months because he was nursing all the time since birth--every hour. By the time he was 6 months it was great because he would nurse every 3-4 hours around the clock. Since then he has dramatically decreased his nursing frequency from 0-3 times during the day and 3 times during the night. I just starting taking Fenugreek yesterday so we shall see if it helps. When I pump for 20 minutes after Glenn nurses, I only get a few drops so he must be getting all that is there. I worry about dehydration. A few times his diaper was dry in the morning which alarmed me but he hasn't shown any signs of dehydration and he is wetting enough diapers now (5 day, although not as wet as they used to be). I am just so frustrated! He will be starting day care mid April and I'm concerned about how I am going to keep up my supply and he won't take formula. I'm hoping I will have enough to nourish him until he is at least 12 months.
    I've tried everything to try to get him to nurse more since I know that is the best way to keep up my supply. My best luck has been to get up every 2 hours in the night because he outright refuses in the day. He is not a cuddler. Any advice? Since I'm going back to work I really don't want to be up all night but I may have to be. Please tell me this is all worth it!

Default Re: 9 month old, low supply

Offering the breast more often is the one surefire way of increasing your milk supply. If he is only nursing 5 minutes on each side, you may consider using the same breast for maybe 2 or 3 feedings in a row, then switching. That way, they are more likely to get more of the higher fat hindmilk, although there is definitely benefit to the foremilk AND the hindmilk. The fact that he is nursing only 5 minutes at a time, and he has a good latch, is a good indication that he is a very efficient nurser and you have plenty of milk.

The best remedy for a fussy baby is to nurse and wanting to nurse every hour is normal behavior for newborns.

For a baby of 9 months, it is not recommended to go 3-4 hours without nursing if you are trying to keep your supply up and continue to nurse, I would cut that time about in half while you are at home and plan to pump several times a day when you go back to work.

hi, glennysmom, how are you and the baby doing now?

i have similar issues. my son is 9 months old now. he doesn't nurse when he's awake. he's too interested in his surroundings. i can only nurse him after i rock him to sleep and at night. he refuses to take a bottle and does not eat much solids. it's very frustrating. My milk supply seems to go through cycles. I constantly worry if Ethan drinks enough.

With all that said, I didn't offer much help. I just want to share my story and hope for the best for both of us.

Sav

I wanted to share with all you moms with 8-9 month olds not nursing well. I had the same issue with my DS and have made it through 2 nursing strikes in the past 6 weeks (horrible stuff!). I finally found that the ONLY way I can get DS to nurse, is to bring his teddy bear that he sleeps with, with us to the nursing chair. So long as his bear is right on top of his face and he is stroking its paw, he will nurse. The minute his bear falls on the ground or gets knocked off him, he stops nursing and freaks out. I hope that helps other moms out there! Try giving your baby his/her "lovey" while nursing and see if that helps! I tried nursing necklaces, clicking my tongue, dark rooms, white noise, hanging over him on all fours with breasts hanging down like a cow, and many other tricks. This is the only thing that has worked for us. And he has now been nursing well for a week, getting hardly any supplementation (we've gone from 4-6 bottles of formula a day to ALL breastfeeding again and maybe 3 oz formula a day!!!!), and I think my supply has finally started to get back on track. He's 8 1/2 month old.

Hope this helps someone else! Try a "lovey!"

9 mos seems to be the age,, i too have a 9 mos old who doesn't nurse well during the day,, usually just naps and at night, so probably twice during the day and 2-3 times at night,, I am now offering EBM in his sippy cup exclusively (used to be water) even when he is at home with me,,when he nurses, he nurses well,, but I worry about going 4-5 hours between nursings,, also, my right breast produces much less than my left when pumping,, not always, but pretty often. I have tried the last couple days offering that breast first when ever I can get him to nurse,, no real results yet,, he seems content when he nurses so hopefully he is getting enough.
    I guess we are all in the same boat!