Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I let it leak?

Question Should I let it leak?

I'm so glad I found this board!! I have an issue with OALD and oversupply and now everything makes sense!!! I'm sure many of you know what I mean! It is so nice to know that there are others out there who get it.

Anyway, my question is this...when trying to reduce supply, is it better to let the opposite breast than the one being used to nurse leak or should I keep the milk in with pressure from a Blis shell and save it for when I switch sides later? (Does that make any sense?) I guess the underlying question is this: does leaking when that breast is not being used signal to your body to REPLACE that milk (and therefore keep the oversupply) or is leaking the body's way of getting rid of milk it doesn't need? I hope this makes sense!! TIA!

Mary

Default Re: Should I let it leak?

I alway just let the milk leak out. A small amount of milk leaking will relieve the pressure slightly and shouldn't really impact milk production

i too let it just leak. the way i see it, since milk is on a supply and demand scheduled deal, my baby or the pump is not demanding that milk so its not a huge deal...does that make sense? Plus its not eve half an oz i leak so oh well.

I agree. If you have oversupply it won't make much of a difference. When I had oversupply I leaked like crazy & still had enough milk to feed my son all day!
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    breastfed from 7/3/06 to 6/16/08
    &
    Erin (4) born naturally (with Hypnobirthing)
    breastfed from 5/18/08 to around 5/18/10
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &
    Connor (1) breastfed from 12/28/11 to current

Ian's age ticker Erin's age ticker Seamus' age ticker
    Connor's age ticker