Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OALD and severe gassiness

Default OALD and severe gassiness

Hi everyone,

I have an OALD. I did have OS issues but they seem to be sorting themselves out.

What my problem is that my OALD causes ds to gulp down his meal. He only takes 6-10 minutes to eat and always has. This is causing him to suffer very badly from gas.

Over the last two weeks he has been waking up every 45mins-2hours all night long, which means he is exhausted all day and very unhappy. He has also started squirming and fussing during most feedings.

I am just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to make nursing better for him, and to help him have a better night sleep.

I have been advised to pump a couple of ounces before each feeding. But I am concerned that this will stir up my OS issues again.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Default Re: OALD and severe gassiness

How are you feeding him? I have DD eat 'uphill' even at night. (She doesn't eat as much when we use sidelying position so she needs to eat more frequently if I don't pick her up at night.) I place her diagonally across me with her face above my breast so that she has to suck her milk up - instead of it falling down into her mouth. She also nurses more slowly when we are moving - in a rocking chair or just walking around - I know, a pain in the middle of the night. A lot of mom's use side lying position with the idea that extra milk will fall to the bed. I think you can also get nipple sheilds that will change the flowrate of your milk - I would ask a LLL leader or lactation consultant about that one.

Default Re: OALD and severe gassiness

Hey,

Thanks for your reply!

I do normally feed sidelying at night, and in the cradel and rugby hold during the day.

I have tried the uphill position but we still haven't mastered it. I am very large chested and I need to hold his head to stop him from suffocating.

But maybe we will practice it.

And I am definitely going to call a LLL leader.

Thanks again.