Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Extremely fussy during feedings

Default Re: Extremely fussy during feedings

You're one tough mama! Applause for you! I had a very low supply of milk when my 1st son was born, thus, i decided to do 50-50 with formula and breastmilk. Now that my little Jacob came i don't know if i'm still going to have the same problem (low milk supply). but hearing from you, your patience and all, makes me not to give up on breastfeeding (Jacob has jaundice problems now).

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Gabe born on September 07, 2004

Jacob born on May 29, 2007

OMG! I am having the same problem. I went to my first LLL meeting this am because I've been having latching on issues and support issues (DH DOESN'T understand the importance of BF'ing). Of course, now all day we've been having GREAT latching on, however, DD will not stop fussing. She'll fall asleep at the breast and un-latch, then within 5 minutes, she's screaming again. I'm not having supply issues, but I feel so bad that she's acting this way. And of course DH just wants to "give her a bottle".

It might both the growth spurt and the congestion. Hope your baby feels better...and you too!

btw...What soup are you drinking to increase your milk supply?

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Gabe born on September 07, 2004

Jacob born on May 29, 2007

My baby also seems to have a lot of throat congestion on and off that interferes with him feeding well. Is there something that I can do to alleviate that?

Quote Originally Posted by ProudMom2007 View Post
    My baby also seems to have a lot of throat congestion on and off that interferes with him feeding well. Is there something that I can do to alleviate that?
    My DS had a nose congestion and we'll hear it down in his throat as well. Following the Ped's advice, we dropped Saline solution down his nose, and then used an aspirator to suck up the booger in his nose. The congestion is cleared somewhat. Check with you Ped before using saline solution. We also had the humidifier on too (or after a shower, bring your LO into the bathroom to "soak" up the steam)

Ours are sick all the time. We use the saline. If that doesn't work, we use the nasal aspirator after the saline has loosened everything up. If you use it correctly you can clear them out enough to eat, although they scream bloody murder. The throat congestion is usually post-nasal drip and clears out if you clear the nose. Rarely we've had to run a hot shower and steam them in the bathroom before suctioning, that really loosens it up. Mine only cough when nursing if the OALD gets them though, that's never from congestions. Have you had him checked for an ear infection? That really interferes with eating, it hurts when they swallow.

OMG! I am having the same problem. I went to my first LLL meeting this am because I've been having latching on issues and support issues (DH DOESN'T understand the importance of BF'ing). Of course, now all day we've been having GREAT latching on, however, DD will not stop fussing. She'll fall asleep at the breast and un-latch, then within 5 minutes, she's screaming again. I'm not having supply issues, but I feel so bad that she's acting this way. And of course DH just wants to "give her a bottle".
    FoxyBoo--
    Breast compressions are a good way to encourage a sleepy baby to keep nursing. Here is a link that you might find helpful:
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html

Let me know if that helps.
    Hang in there mama!
    Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!