Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extremely fussy during feedings

Unhappy Extremely fussy during feedings

Hi Ladies

How do you deal with a baby who keeps fussing at the breast and pulling off, but never looks like he's had enough? He's producing a decent number of dirty diapers (he runs through the disposables faster than you can say Captain Planet!) so i know he's at least getting some. But he hardly ever looks satisfied at a feeding now, and suddenly refuses to latch properly after doing beautifully for a day.

By the way, my baby is about 6 weeks old and i thought he was clocking in for the 6 week growth spurt, but he's been like that for a good 3 days now and i'm getting worried. i've always had supply issues, and on top of that i had a bad case of plugged ducts yesterday so it must have been pretty frustrating for him.

Any advice appreciated, thanks in advance!

Default Re: Extremely fussy during feedings

At wat time excatly ur Lo fusses? is the beginning which means after u let down?
    Wat time of the day all day long? or just in evenings?

It could be grwoth spurt coz they can last to anywhere from 2 days to one week..so wait for few more days and see how it goes.

If u have a plugged duct the flow of the milk slows down hence makes babis frustrated, its also the same reason why babies fuss at evenings coz of the slow flow..
    Also if he fusses after u let down maybe you have an over active let down (OLAD) or an oversupply..(since u have a plugged duct I assume u have an oversupply) and thats wat bothing ur LO...does he gag? when he unlatches after the first intial sucks do u spray?

Make sure his ear not hurtin him. Like i said wait for couple of days it could be a growth spurta fter all..and make sure u treat ur plugged duct before it gets worse....hang in there...babis are hard to understand so dont worry...

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."

I don't have any good advice. I just wanted to give you and say hang in there!

Check this out and see if it sounds like what you're experiencing. http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html

He fusses at almost every feeding, not just evenings. Some of the fussing is because of gas, some of it is because of slow flow or no flow, but most of the time i have no clue what he wants. Today he's taken to taking snack feedings every hour or so, which i'm deathly afraid of because that always dries me up for the day. i'm a very slow producer. And yup, he's still fussing at every feed.

And nope, my supply issues are more to do with under-supply than oversupply. The plugged ducts were probably a result of my overzealous attempt to improve my supply. And now my supply is low again...

But thanks ladies for the replies and encouragement. i really need it now. i'm getting quite tempted to give up, but every time i think about it i remember that i want the best for my son. When he's peacefully feeding and not fussing, it feels so good that i can't imagine any other way of feeding a baby.

back to all you lovely ladies!

If it's a growth spurt, I remember some that seemed like they lasted forever, so get a good book and hang in there.

Hugs. You're not alone.

Can you tell me why you feel your supply is low?

It definitely sounds like a growth spurt to me. The nursing every hour should help to boost your supply--the best way to increase milk supply is to remove milk regularly from the breast.

Hang in there!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Actually i'm getting really confused myself about whether i'm naturally over or under supplied. i drink lots of soup, some of which are proven to increase supply. But sometimes things happen (like the plugged ducts) and my supply then seems to disappear. i used to be able to tell when my supply is really low when my baby suckles, gets nothing, and protests. (He's impatient, won't take the time to suck to restimulate the breast.)

i think the growth spurt is over, but the fussing continues. He's got a badly clogged throat, and sometimes a stuffy nose. The nose can be fixed easily, but i can't do anything about the clogged throat, and LO keeps getting choked because of that. Once he chokes, it's another half an hour before he'll return to the breast. The frustrating thing is while my pediatrician prefers not to medicate coz the baby's still so little, it's gotten to a point where i can't say for sure he's getting enough. He's producing plenty of dirty diapers though, so he should be ok?

Just wondering when all this will be over...

If he's putting out plenty of wet and dirty diapers, then he's getting enough to eat. Hopefully the congestion will pass soon
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Wink Re: Extremely fussy during feedings

When he gets fussy does he sweat? he might be hot and that makes him fussy, skin to skin helps. Have patience, when he feels fussy just let him relax, also try to feed him when he wakes up from a nap, sometimes when they are drowsy they don't fuss as much. Good Luck.