Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lingual Frenectomy & Latching Issues - Help!

Default Re: Lingual Frenectomy & Latching Issues - Help!

Quote Originally Posted by MasonsMommy View Post
    Thank you so much for the replies and insight. Our pediatrician's office won't be able to do this until Wednesday at the earliest so I will try to pump and hand express as much milk as possible before then for Mason.

I was able to use my manual Medela today to relieve some pressure and express almost 2 ounces of milk without bleeding.
    I'm curious as to why you aren't nursing. Why is it?

Hi - im new to this forum but im writing about tongue tie. My son who is now 5 weeks old had a tongue tie which a frenotomy was performed on day day 5.
    What im wondering is has anyone still had problems since the frenotomy. I keep reading of everyone who has noticed instant postive results however, i have had nothing but trouble with feeding. I've been expressing ever since and giving my bub breastmilk from bottle. I try him every day on breast and notice his tongue still doesn't do what it should do - i can feel it going sideways and my nipples end up grazed and very sore. I take ages to latch him on and then he comes off after a couple of minutes only for me to attempt again and again. Naturally this is very upsetting for me because i want to breastfeed. I have a 5 year old who i breastfed for 12 months - so i know what it should feel like but it just isn't the same. I almost feel like giving up and just putting him on bottle because it is getting me down now.
    Can someone please tell me how they went and if there is any hope or light at end of tunnel. Will my baby just get better with persistance and once he puts on more weight?
    i eagerly await your replys.

I'm sure you are really frustrated. It is so emotionally draining when a lo is not nursing correctly for whatever reason.

Have you seen an IBCLC? It sounds like maybe your son needs some tongue training exercises to learn to use his tongue correctly. She could help you with those or see if there is something else going on.

Hang in there! Hopefully with some help you can be on the right track soon.

just wanted to say good luck!!! I had the same problem w/ bleeding and tongue-tie. I brought my baby to an ENT and he found the problem and strapped her down and snipped it! We both cried! But i am soooo glad we did this! Our issues we were having w/ bf'ing are almost all resolved now! Of course I wish we would've found it earlier cause it took some retraining on relatching! we did it at 7 weeks. Good luck and I hope you feel better! Maybe bring someone w/ you for support!

My son also had tongue tie and it was corrected. Have you been back to the doctor who performed the procedure? Some babies need to have it repeated. Also, as a pp mentioned, perhaps tongue exercises will help. Good Luck!
    Melissa, mom to my very busy 4-year-old little man and super busy 2-year-old princess.

I agree with the pp. As an speech therapist, I have seen children who had a very short frenulum, that significantly reduced their tongue mobility to the point that you could not understand a word that the child said. Speech therapy was pretty much useless until the short frenulum was addressed because the problem was structural. In those cases, the children were referred for the clipping. So, I know that your child's feeding issues are the most important right now, and to prevent any complications with speech later, you might as well get it done now. Good luck, and from my understanding (I've never seen it done) it is pretty painless for your little one. Good luck with whatever decision you make.