Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk blister thing in nipple?

Default Milk blister thing in nipple?

My DD is 8 mo, still nurses a LOT. The other day I noticed this weird white blister thing in my left nipple, like it's a milk duct that's swollen. My breast isn't red or swollen like mastitis. I tried to pop it but I couldn't. I tried putting Lansinoh on it and nursing a lot on that side, and it went down, but is still there. What is it and how do I make it go away?
    Tammy in MO

Default Re: Milk blister thing in nipple?

Is it painful? Do you have a blocked duct in addition to the blister? If neither of these applies, I would not worry! It's quite possible that you had a blister that has already opened, and what you are seeing now is just dead skin that hasn't sloughed off yet. It should go away soon if that is the case.

If you are experiencing pain and or a blocked duct, try the moist heat and frequent nursing followed by Lansinoh approach to get the blister to open. HTH!

Sounds like a milk bleb or milk blister. I've been getting them in the same spot the last few months. It all started with an accidental bite. On occassion, I'll end up with a bleb. A bleb is basically a dried bit of milk, right at the duct on the surface of the nipple. Often there is a thin layer of skin that has grown over the duct, which is causing the blister.

I read some great stuff on Kellymom and LLLI about getting rid of it. Olive oil soaked cotton ball, lanolin, or a warm wet wash cloth to soften the skin. I found that a few gentle rubs with the wash cloth was enough to get the softened skin to peel off. Then you need to treat it like an open wound as it heals. Whatever you do, don't try to pop it yourself (like with a needle, which is sometimes recommended)!! You could end up with it infected and that's bad.

I have one and it'S been there since my DD was about 6 weeks old. It was painful at one point but now it's just there. It never went away but it's not painful anymore.