Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Choosing a Breast Pump

Default Choosing a Breast Pump

Hi I am from India and am EBF my 7 month old DD. There are Medela Breastpumps available here. I have to pump to get some extra meals into the little one as she has weight issues. Can't get much out of my AVent ISIS so I was thinking of buyin an electric pump. My only option here is the Mini Electric by medela. The PIS is way too expensive here about $670!

I hate to give her formula and can only get about 1 or 2 ounces with the handpump.

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Shalini

Default Re: Choosing a Breast Pump

Wow. That is a lot of money for a PIS.

1-2 ounces isn't a bad output, and especially not when you consider that the milk you express is not replacing a feeding, but is in addition to your feedings.

One thing you might consider is pumping before/during/after your first morning feed. Many mothers find that they naturally express more milk then.

Another option would be to try some of these techniques to assist milk ejection reflex (let-down) found here to compliment your pumping:
    http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html (not LLL resource)
    You might even consider giving this technique of hand expression a try, as some mothers actually are able to express more milk by hand.

I realize that cost is a concern for you, so my best suggestion is to try some of the options above before investing in the mini electric. Some mothers have found that the Isis is just as effective for them. However, if your issue with the Isis is that your hand gets tired and you're not able to pump long enough, then it might be worth it to invest in the mini electric.

HTH!

I'm moving this thread to pumping for more replies.