Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple Shield

Default Nipple Shield

Kaden was born a natural at breastfeeding, but when he was a few days old he got gas real bad and wouldn't latch on because he tummy hurt. I had to feed him with a bottle a few times that day and he then forgot how to do it so well. I was suggested to use a nipple shileld until he got better and gained the weight back. He is now five weeks old and finally back to birth weight. I have been trying to wein him off the shield for several weeks and it is getting better, but not real well yet.

Has anyone had a problem similar to mine or needed to use the shield at any time that could suggest what worked for them to get him off from using it.
    I have tried different possisions, skin to skin, hanging over him, taking it off half way through to kind of trick him, and even cutting it down slowly (we got about half way and he wouldn't take that one anymore). He is latching on sometimes now, but won't stay there. It is like he doesn't know what to do with what is in his mouth.

Thanks,
    Tara

Default Re: Nipple Shield

i HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. WE HAD TO USE THE NIPPLE SHIELD AS i HAVE FLAT NIPPLES . HE STAYED LIKE THIS TILL 4 AND A HALF WEEKS . WHAT i DID IS SOMETIMES START WITH THE SHIELD AND THEN STOP AND REMOVE IT AND SOMETIMES HE WOULD GO ONE DAY WITHOUT IT THEN STARTS SCREAMING AGAIN AND NOT FEEDING .IT WAS FRUSTRATING BUT ONE DAY SUDDENLY i REMOVED IT AND HE DID WELL. WE STILL HAVE SOME ISSUES ,IT S NOT EASY .HE REFUSES SOMETIMES FEEDING. BUT i THINK ONE DAY YOURS WILL BE READY TOO.

I feel your pain! My DD used a shield from two weeks untill about three months. I wish that I could give you a magic answer, but sometimes it just takes time. My advice is try nursing without it at least once a day, but don't push it. You just never know when it will work. I started sleeping without a bra to let DD get used to feeling my nipple without the shield. Also, you could put a little sugar water on your nipple to encourage DS to at least lick it and get used to the feeling of it without the shield even if he wont latch at first. My DD wouldn't latch at all. If I even tried for more than a few seconds she would cry so much that she wouldn't even nurse at all. Then one day she was hungery and I couldn't remember when I had put my shield and I offered the breast without the shield as I was looking, and she latched and did a full feeding with no shield! We went back and forth with it for a little while but we never use it now Hang in there! Good luck!

We nursed w a shield up til 6 months. I tried several times to get DS off of it but nothing worked. I was prepared to keep using it and I was so used to it I really didn't care. One day DS started pulling it off and trying to eat it!! I started worrying that he might choke on it or something. After a few days of this he just latched on w/o it and I hav'nt put it on since. He weaned himself off it. My advice is to try nursing every so often w/o it and eventually it will work. Not sure if anyone else mentioned but cutting the shield is not a good idea due to the sharp edges. There have been several posts on this.
    Good Luck.
    C:\Documents and Settings\David Lawrence\My Documents\My Pictures\DSC00970.jpg
    Mommy to Alexander
    Born Oct 6,2006

What worked for us (around 4 weeks I think) was to nurse for 1-2 minutes with the shield then I would take him off, pull the shield off and relatch him. It actually happened quickly for us but that's not always the case. I remember feeling like we'd NEVER get rid of that thing, but suddenly it was gone. I always say the goal is that baby is getting the best milk possible, right from the source, so why worry too much? Try this method when you feel like your child is ready and you will eventually get rid of it.

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

Quote Originally Posted by proud mommy View Post
    I feel your pain! My DD used a shield from two weeks untill about three months. I wish that I could give you a magic answer, but sometimes it just takes time. My advice is try nursing without it at least once a day, but don't push it. You just never know when it will work. I started sleeping without a bra to let DD get used to feeling my nipple without the shield. Also, you could put a little sugar water on your nipple to encourage DS to at least lick it and get used to the feeling of it without the shield even if he wont latch at first. My DD wouldn't latch at all. If I even tried for more than a few seconds she would cry so much that she wouldn't even nurse at all. Then one day she was hungery and I couldn't remember when I had put my shield and I offered the breast without the shield as I was looking, and she latched and did a full feeding with no shield! We went back and forth with it for a little while but we never use it now Hang in there! Good luck!

Great post, I totally agree. Sometimes it just takes awhile, but you can do it! We used one for 3 months before my LO could latch on without it (and not just latch on, but latch on *correctly*). Just keep trying, eventually you won't need it anymore. Towards the end there, I remember HATING that shield so much. I was so happy the day I threw them all away.
    3rd baby, first nursling! Lauren 1/17/07