Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feeling clueless

Default Feeling clueless

My dd is 4.5mo and most days I feel just as clueless as ever so I need to vent! LO was in the NICU for 7wks, and came home 2wks before her due date. At that time she had been on the standard 3hr feeding schedule with EBM bottles and some nursing. When I brought her home, I did away with the bottles so she started bfing lots more often! She got better at bfing, but then started puking up feedings. Not just a little...a LOT! I investigated the whole reflux idea, but have come to the conclusion (after much trial and error with different solutions) that it's just air bubbles and a pretty bad gag reflex that she has causing the puking. Anyway, I just feel a bit lost sometimes, like I don't know what to do or what to expect from day to day as far as when she will eat, nap, for how long, etc. I try to read her cues, but they seem to be changing as she gets older and sometimes there's such a fine line between hungry, sleepy, happy, gassy! I feel like maybe she would create her own routine if mommy would just get with the program! I guess it will all come together and she'll have ME trained eventually

Default Re: Feeling clueless

You're doing great! Just keep listening to your baby.

I can totally relate to your situation. I have a 2 month old son. He was born five weeks early and I have been having similar experiences. He is breastfeeding but he tends to only actively suck for 10 minutes and then do very light sucks after that for 20-40 minutes. If I take him off he gets upset because he has not eaten enough. But if I keep him on the breast we would be breast feeding for hours on end. I also feel the same way about trying to read his cues. He is very fussy and does not have a lot of quiet alert times. When he is awake, he is usually crying. I also have concerns that he is not meeting his developmental milestones. In essence, I am a wreck! This is my first baby so I do not really know what to expect. Everyone I talked to says it is a phase and he will get better.

Just hang in there and do what you doing. We need to remember that our babies are premature so they are not going to be doing all of the things a full term baby would do. You are doing the best you can do considering the situation. Just know that you are not alone in this and that other mothers feel the same way.

Thanks for the encouragement! Glad to know you're going through this as well When my dd came home she was at the breast ALL the time too. She's just now starting to go a little longer between feedings, which is nice, but now her weight gain is slowing down and making me nervous! I guess it's always something! I do think it took her a bit longer to get with the "nursing" program being premature, so hang in there with your little guy. Let him take whatever he needs for now and I'm sure as he gets older things will get easier.