Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Biting Down

Default Biting Down

My daughter is 4 months old and teething, her pediatrician said she probably won't break her tooth through until she is about 6 months. Lately she has been biting down on my nipple, it doesn't hurt just stings. By the end of the day though my nipple hurts bad from her biting down. I tell her not to bite down or I will take her off and she looks at me and smiles. When she does bite down after I warned her I end the feeding session, mainly because I am sore and need a break. What can I do about this? I know she's pretty young and doesn't know any better. Do I just deal with it?

Default Re: Biting Down

Ouch it hurts doesn't it. Yeah unfortunately thats all you can do. My dd is 8 mos. and she broke her two bottom teeth at 6 mos. so she's been doing it off and on for 2 mos. I sometimes can tell when she's getting ready to bite down and right away I'll pull it out of her mouth. Even sometimes I'll tell her in baby talk that she's gonna hurt mama and she just smiles at me with like no clue in mind as to what I just said. I guess I really don't have an answer for ya, just hang in there and maybe when you feel her biting down just pull it out of her mouth. Good luck though!
    My name is Rosie and I'm a mother to 3 girls and 2 boys

My girls:Janessa 10.30.93, Reanna 03.25.99 and Mylee 09.20.06
    My sons, Isaiah 07.16.97 and Shawn 09.12.08

Yup, it doesn't feel to good. Sometimes she will do it when nursing in the middle of the night and I fall asleep nursing, when she bites down I freak out and end up yanking my boob out of her mouth. She's to precious and I have a hard time telling her not to do that. I am starting to learn when she's getting ready to, she comes off and starts sucking on just the nipple and then she bites. Good idea, I will take it out right when she about to bite.

I have a similar problem, except she doesn't bite down so much as gnaw on my nipples at night (at night while she is not sleeping since apparently teething and sleeping cannot happen at the same time).
    My DD is a little over 4 months as well. When we went to our 4 month check up, I told the ped that I thought she was teething. The ped sort of blew me off and indicated that it would be several months before the first tooth would come...well lo and behold a tooth broke through yesterday, we can actually see it! At only 18 weeks ...so it could happen to you...
    I've been told this unfortunate teething behavior stops after the tooth acutally emerges, so I'm hopeful.
    I hope we don't have to go through this 19 more times ...isn't that how many teeth they get?

Quote Originally Posted by PoisonousBlonde_81 View Post
    Yup, it doesn't feel to good. Sometimes she will do it when nursing in the middle of the night and I fall asleep nursing, when she bites down I freak out and end up yanking my boob out of her mouth. She's to precious and I have a hard time telling her not to do that. I am starting to learn when she's getting ready to, she comes off and starts sucking on just the nipple and then she bites. Good idea, I will take it out right when she about to bite.
    Yeah and another thing I forgot to add is when I happen to look down at her after she's done it you know just to make sure she doesn't do it again, she tries to like sneak a bite and while she's sneaking she'll look up at me as if to say "look mama look what I'm getting ready to do" lol it's the funniest thing but dang does that hurt!
    My name is Rosie and I'm a mother to 3 girls and 2 boys

My girls:Janessa 10.30.93, Reanna 03.25.99 and Mylee 09.20.06
    My sons, Isaiah 07.16.97 and Shawn 09.12.08