Day 8- 6lb 13oz
    Day 13- 7lb 1oz
    Day 15- 7lb 2oz
    Day 22- 7lb 7oz
    Jaundiced for the first 2 weeks of life
    Exclusively breast fed
    5 or more yellow, green or orangy stools per day
    5 or more colorless pee pees
    Had poor latch for the first week, LC helped correct it, she wouldn't open wide enough, and botom lip curls under, she also has bad habit of sucking on tongue when she's supposed to be latching on. I'm pulling chin down and uncurling lip.
    I had cracked nipple on right side due to one week of poor latch.....causing me to develop mastitis this week (ouchy). Am currently on antibiotics. Nipple is healed and not painful when latching any longer.

I'm basically concerned that she is such a sleepy baby, and am wondering if it is normal for her to be so lazy about eating. Dr has me waking her every 2-3 hours during the day for feeds.....it'll take me a good 10 minutes to wake her fully, then she'll latch and suck for maybe 2-5 min and then knock out again. It's been extremely frustrating to keep having to wake her again and again. Do you think her slow gain is due to her not being an enthusiastic eater? I think she would happily sleep the day away, and not eat if it were up to her. She gets up twice per night to eat.

She will have some awake moments each day, and some days if we're lucky we get to see her eyes for an hour or so (but not everyday). Do you think she's normal? I keep worrying that something's wrong with her, but I do tend to be a worry wart! When should she be waking up on her own to tell me she's hungry? I have 2 other kids, and never had any problems with the weight or breastfeeding......every kiddo is different I guess!

Any advice or wisdom would be greatly apreciated! Thanks!

Default Re: Extra sleepy & Slow gain 3 week old

Hi! I have a 5 week old and she sleeps constantly too. I think she's awake for a total of 1-2 hours a day (usually during diaper changes and the first 5-8 minutes of a feeding). She, too, sleeps through the night, only waking once or maybe twice to eat. In a way I feel blessed (I also have two other LO's, age 3.5 and 1.5 so it gives me strength to keep up with them! ).
    I don't have any suggestions, just wanted you to know there's someone else out there in the same situation!!

Aloha!
    DD had jaundice for over 3 weeks and was yellow at least 5 weeks. That made her a little more sleepy. Because the drs wanted her fed every 2 hours those first 3 weeks, if she was sleeping I ran a cool wet cloth over her forehead to wake her up to eat. I also scratched her feet. She ate better when we were skin to skin. Some babies are just sleepy! Your baby already has that wonderful laid back Hawaiian attitude!
    As far as if the baby is "okay" I would trust your ped. For what its worth DD almost always finished eating in 5-10 min and she has been gaining well - so I wouldn't worry too much about the length of feeding (unless your ped wants it longer).

I am sorry that you are dealing with so many challenges with this LO. Be sure that you are taking care of yourself too!

Thanks girls! I guess I should go with my gut, which says that I have a very mellow sweet baby who wouldn't be one to take to a buffet! She's gonna be a string bean! It does make me feel better to hear there are other sleepy heads out there!

Is she eating between 8- 12 times a day? Mothers that have really strong gainers report that they feed upwards of 8 times. Can she stick her tongue out of her mouth? Check here for information on tongue tie in infants. Can you hear audible swallowing during a feed? Here is info on weight gain concerns, its a link to Kellymom, bookmark it its a great resource for new moms.
    Here is the general page on infant breast feeding concerns.