Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sleeping 6 hrs?

Default sleeping 6 hrs?

Samuel slept from 9-3:30am last night. Will sleeping that long effect my suppy? Will my period start up? I really don't want it to. Does anyone know?

Default Re: sleeping 6 hrs?

I was told it does. I would let my LO sleep upto 4 hours b/c I was so sore but she lost weight the first month. I would advice you to wake her or try to feed her while she sleeps, mine does that at night. You can also pump when she misses a feeding. I didn't do that too often and when I went to work I struggled to leave her enough milk. If you do go back to work store as much as you can.

Sam stays with me all day. so during the day he nurses every 2-3hrs, In the evening he nurses about every 1.5 Anyone else have any insights?

Peter started sleeping for 10hrs+ each night at 2 months, and I have yet to see AF. He is now 7 months (and no longer sleeps through the night).
    Your supply will dip and increase depending on how often your LO nurses. If he wants to drop those middle of the night feeding sessions, yor body will produce less at night. It won't affect your milk production during the day. It sounds like you are doing great, and congratulations for having a sleeping baby! I definitely wouldn't wake him - providing he is producing enough wet and dirty diapers, all is well.

I'm in the same boat--my son is about the same age (born March 20th) and for the past three nights he has slept for 5 hours (yay!) but for the first two nights I was engorged when he woke up ready to feed again (boo!) I'm worried about my supply too as last night I wasn't as engorged when he awoke? He nurses frequently during the day and seems happy and content so I don't know if I'm just being a worrier?

I was told not to let a breastfed baby sleep for more than 5 hours until they were two months old, and not to let them sleep for more than 4 in the very beginning while your supply is being established - but you're past that so it seems like you're okay. I'm jealous of your sleep Congrats!

I think as long as he gets enough to eat during the day (has enough dirty diapers and is gaining well) you are fine with letting him sleep as long as he wants to overnight. Your supply should readjust to the time of day when he eats. My ped told me that once they reach a certain weight (11 lbs maybe? Not sure about that) they don't have to eat overnight, metabollically speaking. I would just enjoy the extra rest!!

Do you cosleep? I find that the nights DS shares our bed (which lately is almost every night since we all sleep better) I dont wake up as engorged when he sleeps for his 3-4 hour stretch. Apparently he nurses in his sleep and I dont wake up.

I know Gabe nurses almost non stop all day - but towards 'bedtime' he will nurse with more vigor - ped says he is storing up for a longer block of sleep. I dont think I'd worry about your supply - as your breasts will acknowledge when to make the most milk.

Listne to me... 6 weeks of breastfeeding and you'd think I knew it all

yeah you're lucky, maybe that will be your LO's schedule. Once my LO is sound asleep I don't wake her but she fusses to bf, but I'm so tired that usually I'm in bed with her anyway. Oh and about your period, I still don't have mine. My LO is 6 months, just BF the whole time. I don't miss it at all ,but now we've started her on solids, so it might come back.

My LO is almost 4 months old and the longest stretch he has slept is 5 hours and that was one time only... I feed the little darling 10-11 times a day and I got my period back last month...so I don't know...I was really looking forward to being period free for awhile! Oh well...c'est la vie.