Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defective Nipple? Just one "stream"...

Default Defective Nipple? Just one "stream"...

Ladies,

I have a 12.5 week old son, who I have been almost exclusively breastfeeding (he was gaining very slowly in the beginning and my doctor recommended supplementing for a few days). Weight gain has been slow, and I am somewhat worried about it (not quite an ounce a day, on average).

I recently returned to work, and pumping more frequently, and my right breast (which is significantly smaller) only emits one "stream" of milk, whereas my left shoots out 3 or 4 streams at one time. The result is that I can pump about 4 ounces on my left for every 1/2 to 1 ounce on my right.

Have been letting my son start from my right every feeding for over a month now, with no change. He is patient and sucks until I finally (usually 20-25 minutes later) switch him to my left so he can get some milk! Is there something wrong with this breast? Is there anything I can do to open up the ducts (or whatever they are) in the nipple?

Thank you!

Default Re: Defective Nipple? Just one "stream"...

My nipples are like that too, i only get 2 streams from the right and a bunch on the left, with the same dissonace in production From what i've read it's totally normal and not anything to worry about. Even if one breast totally quit producing, you'd still be able to feed your baby with just the one. i don't think there's anything thatcan be done to created more ducts. I wouldn't worry about it

My nipples are like that too, i only get 2 streams from the right and a bunch on the left, with the same dissonace in production From what i've read it's totally normal and not anything to worry about. Even if one breast totally quit producing, you'd still be able to feed your baby with just the one. i don't think there's anything thatcan be done to created more ducts. I wouldn't worry about it

Have you had any breast surgery or injury on that side? Do you have any hormonal imbalances that you are aware of?

Sometimes, a baby will nurse well on one side and poorly on the other. How is his latch on the less productive side? Does nursing on that side hurt?

stream? What's a stream? Just kidding. I get only one most of the time. Sometimes it's a pump issue. With my old pump I could get 3 or 4. With this pump, I'm lucky to get 2.

It's good to hear I'm not the only one. No breast surgeries, no hormonal imbalances, no pain (anymore...initially, about week 3, I had a day or two that I had a small milk blister on my nipple that I was able to remove on my own) and my son latches on the same as on my right. The only thing I can think of, trauma-to-the-breast-wise, is that I had electrolosis to remove the hair around my nipples about 10 years ago.

Hmmm...the electrolosis might have something to do with it, but I've never dealt with that before. I'll research it for you and see what I can come up with.

It certainly could also be a pump issue. Babies are much better at removing milk from the breast than pumps are, some pumps are poorer quality than others, and even the best pumps wear out over time.

HTH,

Tiana

I have the exact same issue! I pump exclusively because my 3 1/2 year old has yet to latch and I get double the milk from one breast with 3-4 streams from one and 1-2 streams from the other. They have always been uneven in size, but now even more so since one is holding more milk!!! I assumed it was normal, but just wanted to let you know someone else had the same issue!

I just want to make sure I'm reading your post correctly? Your son is gaining one ounce per day? So that's almost 2 pounds per month? If so, that's at the high end of the 4-7 ounces per week a baby should gain (after their fourth day of life).

If you can post more specific weight numbers at his various check-ups maybe we can get a better idea if there really is something to be concerned about there.

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

His weight gain rate seems to fluctuate. At the Doctor's office:

Birthweight: 7 lb, 7 oz
    At discharge: 7 lb, 4 oz (we gave him a little formula at the hospital)
    2 weeks: 7 lb, 6 oz
    4.5 weeks: 7 lb, 11 oz
    6 weeks: 8 lb, 10.5 oz
    2 months: 9 lb, 13.5 oz

He's just at 13 weeks now, and on my scale at home he's at 11 lbs, 10 oz.

I weigh him on a scale at home every few days--he'll go a few days averaging not quite an ounce per day, but then go another few days averaging 1/2 an ounce a day.

Overall, he seems healthy and happy. He does take at least 45 minutes to eat, though, and very, very rarely will release my breast on his own...I think he's nurse all day if I let him!

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with one "worker" breast, and one "slacker"!