Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: latching and unlatching repeatedly

Default latching and unlatching repeatedly

My almost two-week-old will sometimes latch on, suck a couple of times and then pull off. She will do this several times. It usually happens at the beginning of a feeding when she is acting very hungry, but has also happened in the middle of a feeding. I've tried expressing a few drops of milk first, but that hasn't helped. Any ideas, this is causing nipple soreness, and I had just started to get over that. Thank you.

Default Re: latching and unlatching repeatedly

My dd was just doing that this morning Sounds like a little bit of OALD that's bothering your baby. Maybe try nursing her lying down on the bed so that she is level with your breast and any excess milk can dribble out her mouth easier (make sure to lay on a cloth or pad!).

Sometimes this is overlooked....and I often forget, but my DD has done that a couple of times.....and it turned out that she had a few boogers and once the nasal syringe was used, she was fine

Blue

I've noticed my 5-week old does this during a let-down. I think it's too much for her. I'm sorry I don't know all the codes (i.e. OALD-what?)

Sounds like you have overactive letdown.