Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I want to quit, I want to exclusively bf, I'm frustrated!

Default I want to quit, I want to exclusively bf, I'm frustrated!

Hi all and thanks for all the help I've gotten just reading the forums.... I need some more help though.... I really do want to exclusively bf, but don't know how to get it in a schedule. I also dont know when I should be pumping, since I'm afraid to pump and the ds will wake up and want to eat and I wont be able to feed him from the breast. I also took some medication that made me have to pump and dump for 36 hours, and now I don't seem to be producing as much, and don't know what to do to increase supply (I did just order Domperidone). I am lucky enough to be able to bring ds to work with me, but I feel I need to have some kind of schedule of when and how long I will be away from my desk considering sometimes he will nurse for 5-10 minutes and fall fast asleep, not waking at all and other times nurse for 1 hour and I have to break the latch. I have been supplementing with 6 oz of formula during the day and roughly that during the night, but I really want to do this completely and don't think I'm doing it right. I did get the number of my LLLC and plan on calling tonight but want to get all this out... Thanks in advance for any advice...

Oh, the info always asked for:
    3 weeks old
    in NICU for 10 days for wet lung, pumped and formula supplement
    6 lbs 6 oz at birth (naked)
    8 lbs 2 oz yesterday (clothed)
    he hates poopy diapers, so like 5-6 of them a day with another 5 just wet per day

Default Re: I want to quit, I want to exclusively bf, I'm frustrated!

Let me just start by saying that I feel your pain!!! I remember when my DD was three weeks old. I wasn't able to get up off of the couch to go to the bathroom sometimes because she wanted to nurse for so long! There was definitely no way to getting a schedule worked into it either. Sometimes she would nurse for 10 minutes, other times she would nurse for an hour or longer! There were days when she would want to nurse non-stop or just with short breaks up to an hour long in between nursing. One thing I learned though was the only schedule I had was the one she set from day to day. It was stressful and tiring but after about two months, once she hit the 12 pound mark, things got A LOT better (not sure why but that was our magic number). She started sleeping for 5-8 hours a night and going a little longer in between feedings during the day. She also reduced the number of marathon nursing sessions. Of course there are still times when I find myself a slave to the couch once more when she's going through a growth spurt or just wants to comfort nurse. But overall things got significantly better around the two month mark! You are doing a wonderful job!! Just trust that it won't be like this forever!

Also, the best thing you can do to increase supply is to keep on nursing on demand!!

Good luck!!

Amber

Hi there! I do remember those days and they are hard! Now at 11 months I can def say that this too will pass but I know in the moment it is hard to see past these very long days First of all you are doing a great job, working and nursing are both very hard. If you have to be on a schedule I would say that every 2-3 hours during the day would be ideal. Understanding that during growth spurts, she should have one at 3 weeks!, she will want to nurse more frequently. You can try Breast compressions to keep her interested and the milk flowing, also you can change her diaper in between sides, use a cool wash cloth to rouse her, stroke her head to keep her awake etc. Many blessings to you!

but don't know how to get it in a schedule
    There really isn't any need for a schedule. It's best to watch your baby, not the clock. Babies tend to fall into loose schedules anyway but really, it should be them who dictates when they eat and not us. Breastfeeding on demand is the very best thing you can do.

also dont know when I should be pumping, since I'm afraid to pump and the ds will wake up and want to eat and I wont be able to feed him from the breast.
    Your breasts are never empty so even if you pumped and baby wanted to nurse 5 minutes later, you'd still have milk for him. But since you can take him to work with you, why do you need to pump?

I also took some medication that made me have to pump and dump for 36 hours, and now I don't seem to be producing as much, and don't know what to do to increase supply (I did just order Domperidone).
    What was the name of the medication you had to take? Your supply should increase within 24-48 hours after you place more of a demand on it. But what have you seen that indicates that you aren't producing as much?

but I feel I need to have some kind of schedule of when and how long I will be away from my desk considering sometimes he will nurse for 5-10 minutes and fall fast asleep, not waking at all and other times nurse for 1 hour and I have to break the latch.
    This is a fairly typical nursing pattern. Would it be possible to put your baby in a sling and sit at your desk & work while he nurses?

I have been supplementing with 6 oz of formula during the day and roughly that during the night, but I really want to do this completely and don't think I'm doing it right.
    May I ask why you are supplementing? Milk supply is all about supply and demand -- when supplements are offered, they take baby away from the breast, breast receives less stimulation and thus, produces less breastmilk.

Have you contacted a IBCLC or a LLL Leader?

You'll get through this

Moving this to working for more replies.

Hi,

I am so impressed you are back at work already! I could barely move when DS was three weeks old.

I agree with the previous posters about a couple of things--your baby won't fit into much of a schedule now (and it is good for the baby and your supply that way) but will develop one later and that a sling might be just the ticket for you. I didn't try one so I am just guessing here.

If a sling isn't for you is there any way you can nurse the baby at your desk? Perhaps some creative use of pillows, blankets and one-handed typing? There are a lot of NAK (nursing at keyboard) experts on this forum.

The beginning is so hard and a huge adjustment but it gets easier. Good luck and have a great time with your baby at work,

Quote Originally Posted by tarabull
    I did just order Domperidone
    Before you start taking domperidone, it is recommended that you exhaust all other methods of increasing milk supply. Did you talk to your dr before ordering? Have you spoke with an LC? You might want to make sure your problem truly is a low supply before you introduce this medication. Domperidone was not meant as a miracle milk maker. I would talk to your dr, your pedi and LC before you begin any kind of new drug regiment, especially since your baby has already had health issues.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

You asked about when to pump: if you don't *need* to pump, because you're with your baby, then don't worry about it, you've got enough going on right now. If you want to pump to increase your supply, or to start a stash for when you can't be with your baby, then you can pump after feeding your baby, or pump on one side while baby nurses the other side.

At three weeks old, you and your baby are still learning to breastfeed, too.

There are many ways to increase your supply - nurse as often as possible, stay hydrated, eat oatmeal, herbs you can try, nurse as often as possible, use a supplemental nursing system, so that even while baby is getting a supplement, your breasts are being stimulated, pump after feeding, nurse baby when baby wants comfort sucking (no pacifiers), use breast compressions while baby is nursing, so baby gets more, and relax about life in general, since stress can inhibit the letdown.

I'm so sorry you're back at work already, and your baby is only three weeks old! Your body is still healing from the birth!
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!