Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ouch!!!

Unhappy Ouch!!!

Ok I used my pump for the first time today (wanting to pump to allow hubby to occasionally feed, and to keep up a good milk supply) anyhow after a while, after I was done, sitting here and my nipples are really sore! I looked at them and they were even sort of raw on the bottom of em, feels like someone is sittin here twisting them or even cut them! Now I have slight pain like this after bf sometimes, but not always and never this bad! So should I stop pumping? Or is this normal/does it go away... or do I need a better pump? This is the pump I have http://www.baileymed.com/cgi-bin/sto...?F=s&ID=000002 Gavin just nursed a lil bit ago too (after having pumped earlier) and when he first latched on OUCH! I am scared of that pump now lol Anyhow any advice or insight is greatly appreciated! TY

Default Re: Ouch!!!

Are your nipples fitting into the flanges properly? Does your areola rub on the flange? If so, you might need a different sized flange. I noticed some pain and tenderness when I first started using my pump too but that went away once I'd used it for a while. I think it was just my breasts getting used to the different suction because it's not like that anymore. I am using the Medela PIS.

Sorry, that may not be much help to you but that's all I can think of that it might be at the moment! Hope you figure something out so you're not in pain!!!

Amber

yes but it hurt so bad I'm scared to use it again LOL

Hmmm...do they maybe have a help line that you can call for assistance?? They might be able to troubleshoot the problem with you. I can tell you a funny story about a painful pumping experience... My husband is an electrical engineer and likes to "amp" up everything we own. Well, I mentioned to him that my old pump (an Evenflo) didn't feel like it was getting enough milk out of me, next thing I know, the entire pump is apart and he's working on it. The next time I used it, it felt like my breasts were being ripped off my chest! Moral of the story, men have no need to mess with breast pumps!

I'm not familiar with this particular pump and couldn't tell from the details in the link you gave (thanks for that!), but it would be worth calling the company that makes them to see if, as the pp suggested, there are different size breast shields for this model. The shields are the funnel-shaped part that your nipples get dragged into with the suction. If these are too narrow, you're going to get alot of abrasion and friction - which is quite painful and can also lead to other issues, so you will really want to get this checked out. It's also possible that, if this brand of pump doesn't have bigger shields available, that ones from a different pump (like a medela or ameda) might fit. Are there any lactation centers at any nearby hospitals or any stores that specialize in this kind of thing in your area? There are some out here in the SF area - I bet one of the places would even talk with you by phone to give you input on parts available for pumps... let me know if you want that contact info and I'll get it for you.
    In the meantime, put some warm, damp heat on your sore parts and also put lansinoh or purelan on the areas RELIGIOUSLY until they are feeling better. That really will help! If the skin is abraded or cracked, also try letting some breastmilk dry on them - there are alot of great healing and antibacterial properties in your milk!
    Don't be afraid of your pump, just ease back into it....maybe for shorter periods of time at lesser suction levels....but DO check into whether you've got the right size or not for yourself. I was advised that you really shoudn't have alot of the darker aereola areas rubbing against the plastic narrow parts...
    Good luck......Jsmom

OK... I just did more digging on that website. They don't have bigger 'flanges' (that's what this company calls them) available yet, but they do say that if the 25mm ones are too small, you can try their 'super shields', part number 765.

The medela PIS comes 'standard' with 24mm shields but I know they make larger diameter ones and my lactation consultant considered having me try those at one point. Just something to consider as an option if the discomfort keeps up? A good lactation consultant could give you some guidance on how to properly measure for a better fit to your pump hardware.
    Good luck!
    Jsmom

thanks for your input! I will call my local LLL consultant and also check into a bigger size, I just may need that LOL thanks

and oh my Amber! hehe yep something men should just leave alone lol

You might also want to try using some olive oil to help lubricate the flanges. I use the PISA and got the extra large breastshields and use olive oil. It helps.
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

thanks for the tip!