Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oh my gosh she's nursing!!! Sucess Story!!

Default Oh my gosh she's nursing!!! Sucess Story!!

After 5 1/2 weeks of exclusively pumping (well - she nursed for the first 4 days and then suddenly started refusing-I think nipple confusion was the culprit) she decided to nurse again!!!! I am still in shock - I hadn't even tried for the last 2 weeks!! Thursday night I was sooooooo tired & she woke up at midnight, 2, 4:30 and again at 6, so at 6 I told her (as if she could understand ) that if she was hungry, she was going to nurse, b/c I was NOT getting out of bed again. And holy crap she did! And she's been nursing ever since!!!!!!!!!!!

The hard part is, I am sooooooooooooooooooooo engorged, b/c I was pumping nearly 50 oz. a day & now, obviously, she drinks half of that. I'm finally down to making it through the day though without having to pump some off, it's first thing in the morning I have to deal with...

Anyway - i just wanted to say - if you are struggling and you have the energy to pump, stick with it. I NEVER thought she would nurse (I've seen THREE LC's with no luck) and now she pops on like she's done this whole time. I do remember one LC telling me that some babies will nurse after a month or so once their mouth develops a little bit. I guess she mayhave been right. It's crazy!

Good luck! And keep with it!

Default Re: Oh my gosh she's nursing!!! Sucess Story!!

That's awesome! I am very happy for you and you nursling!!

Oh, hooray hooray and mazel tov!! WTG little nursling -- and HUGE kudos to momma for sticking with the pumping and being so incredibly dedicated and devoted to breastfeeding. I am incredibly happy for you.

I'm going to bookmark this thread so I can share it with other moms who are struggling in the early weeks. It will be priceless encouragement from a BTDT mom.

--Rebecca

Yay! I'm so happy and excited for you!!! Congratulations! Here's to a long and successful breastfeeding relationship!

That's awesome! I went through something similar with my little guy - he had jaundice and my milk didn't come in super fast (it took 4 days) and the pediatrician strongly suggested formula supplements. Alex didn't want to nurse after that so I pumped and fed him bottles of goodness (what we called ebm) until one day (when he was a few weeks old) I just tried it and he took it up like he'd been doing it all along. I agree with you it is totally worth it - 16 months later we're still going strong.

Congrats on sticking with it and I hope you enjoy your nursing relationship as much as I've enjoyed mine.

Sabrina
    Mom to Alex: 12/08/04 and still happily nursing

Oh this makes me have goose bumps and want to cry! I am so happy for you! I just love nursing Thomas so much and want that joy for all other moms too! Congrats

Congratulations! Enjoy your breastfeeding and bonding experience!!

Amber