Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: latch question

Default latch question

i know they say your baby should grab onto as much of your areola as possible, but how much should he really latch onto (as in inches or cm)? Just wondering b/c there are so many areola sizes - mine are ginormous, and I think Adam is getting lots in his mouth, but this morning I noticed my right nipple is bruised, so obviously something's not right.

Default Re: latch question

i also have a bruise on my areola, and now i have two protrusions that look like straight, long, pimples. most of the time, i am sure that ds is not getting enough areola in his mouth, but nursing is such a battle for us that as long as i am not experiencing pain, i let it go. he is gainig weight fine, and i have oversupply, so i am not worried about the areola that much. but i am open to suggestions and interested in what others might have to say.

The amount of areola in a baby's mouth depends so much on the size of the areola and the size of the baby's mouth. So, this can vary, and it is impossible to say how much areola should be in the mouth and how much should be showing. I would reason that with your very large areolas, there would be more showing than in someone with small areolas.

Do you have any pain in your nipples before, after or during feedings?

Eryn, these protrusions on your areola may be Montgomery Glands which are larger during pregnancy-some womens remain enlarged throughout nursing.
    Are they painful?

thank kate - no, i'm having no pain which is why the bruising surprised me