Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When can I indtroduce a bottle when I'm away?

Question When can I indtroduce a bottle when I'm away?

My LO is a month old and it's getting pretty difficult to go out let alone someone watching her. When can I start pumping into bottles for her? I really don't want her to get attached to bottles. I have yet to try one out on her. I really enjoy breastfeeding her and don't want to ruine it.

Are there any tricks I can use?

I have been having the hardest time keeping my breasts unexposed.

Melissa

Default Re: When can I indtroduce a bottle when I'm away?

Its just trial and error. They say after 4 weeks is an ok time to intro a bottle. Does baby have good latch? My son will not take a bottle really, or a paci...Does your baby take a pacifier? The time i have gotten Coop to take a bottle it was the Avent one.. I know tha t doesnt help alot but i think it would be ok to introduce the bottle now...Try having your husband or caregiver try the bottle tho, to prevent confusion

She has an excellent latch. A bit too good sometimes. lol.
    She will take a paci from my DH but not from me. She really doesn't like them.

Thats a good idea about the having DH feed her from a bottle. I never thought of that.

She knows you as the breast ...Maybe will take it easier from dad, That way they get a little bonding time in too Id say if she latches well, its ok to intro one. What kind of pacifier does she take? I know my son will occasionally take the gerber NUK, and they have a bottle thats nipple has the same shape as the paci...

You can introduce a bottle at 4-6 weeks. Some babies will take them, some won't. My daughter did at first and then decided straight from the tap is what she preferred no matter who was giving her the bottle. Remember that if you pump and give her a bottle, you will need to pump again to maintain supply this early in the game. If your daughter doesn't like the bottle, there are other options that might be better anyway because they prevent nipple confusion. We used a dropper or a syringe. You can get in the baby isle in a pharmacy. I prefer the large kind so you don't have to refill as often and baby doesn't have to get as frustrated while you wait each time to refill. Some people even use a small cup or a spoon. These can be messy and require much patience. My mom preferred the dropper.

I used a nursing poncho in public and also nursing tops help a lot. In the hot summer, I just wore a nursing tank and it really just looks like the baby is sleeping and nuzzled up to you.

Best wishes!

We've tried just about all the pacis out there. My friend in Belgium sent me 2 pacis, they are NUK, but it's called "bibi". It's the only ones she will take.

I've never heard of using a dropper. Is that like the ones you use for medicine? How would you know how much to give?

I asked my LC about how much to give when not attached to the breast.. she told me as much as DS will take. Of course since I have given birth to a human shaped piglet - it is usually more then his tummy can hold. I started with 2oz bottles and now I am usually around 3-4oz before he reaches the overfull point, depending on his last feeding.

It is best to express during longer stretches of naptime... for me - it is only in the middle of the night and early morning that my DS wont get Mad when he sees me pumping =p