Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Wierd let down while pumping?

Default Wierd let down while pumping?

Ok, I'm a little confused about my let down. I don't notice my let down reflex at all. I know it's happening but I don't feel it. Now that I'm back at work and pumping I can watch my milk let down (which is kinda cool). I try to relax and think of my baby to help the milk flow and everything goes pretty well for a while.

About 15 minutes into the session the flow has decreased but I'm still getting milk out. A few minutes later I'm not getting anything out, but I keep pumping for a few more minutes. Then I'll look down and there it is - flowing like it was when I started! Almost as if I'm having another let down. Am I doing something unconsciously to make this happen? I'm afriad to stop pumping sometimes in case I miss another mysterious late let down.

What's going on?

Jennifer

Default Re: Wierd let down while pumping?

I don't know what it is but I know what you mean. I'll think I'm all done and look down to check and the milk is flowing like crazy!

I'm not sure of the mechanics of it all but when I noticed a supply issue while pumping someone on this board advised to pump through two let downs. I was like you, I had no idea that there could or would be more than one initial let down of milk. I believe that the second let down is made up of more hindmilk. Sometimes the second let down takes a little while for me too, other times it will come within just a couple of minutes of the first. Not sure what causes the difference though. HTH!

Amber

Forgot to mention, I usually only notice a total of two let downs no matter how long I pump. After the second let down, I will "rub" the milk down out of my breasts starting up under my armpit and stroking downward until I get that last little bit. Once I notice I'm not getting anything else out, that's when I stop pumping.

Right -- your milk will continue to let down over and over again, depending on how long you pump (or nurse!). Most women only feel the first let down (although many don't feel it at all) though.

So it's not just me! Whew! I'll just wait for the second let down and pump a few minutes after it stops. And as I type this I hear more milk.. and there it goes again! This is just strange - but I have to stop pumping eventually.

Jennifer

I get that too! Strangely, the left side seems to have less quantity, but lets down for longer each time. Our bodies are amazing, aren't they?