Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cuts and slits in nipples.....large breasted.

Default Cuts and slits in nipples.....large breasted.

Hey....I'm Blue and I'm new to the forums. I have a 6.5 year old boy whom I had nursed for 22 months with NO problems.
    I now have a 5.5 week old daughter and I am feeling like a complete failure at breastfeeding this go around. I did have a pump (evenflo) and was keeping it on almost max and was able to pump about 7-9oz out of one breast per sitting.

I did also use a nipple shield in the beginning and she latched on ok with that too. I did buy a size 48GG nursing bra which I kind of swim in as I ordered it online. It works for me though

Here is my dilema....I am not truly aware of her EVER latching on correctly(meaning some of the areola in her mouth too) AND I was pumping at almost max when using the pump.....MY PROBLEM is that I have cuts and slits all over my nipples in a circle pattern (from doing the cradle hold and football holds to try and alternate feeding positions). I have been using the Lanisoh ointment. I just tried pumping and when I do.....the slits are stretched out and begin to bleed....some blood is ok for baby....but I don't want it in my bottled milk. So I am choosing to NOT pump until they heal.

I do still have trouble having her open enough for me to feed her(with some areola in her mouth) to "cushion" my nipple from her gnawing on it. [Can you re-train baby to latch or open mouth wider/correctly?]

I just really really need some advice....I just want to know HOW to have my nipples heal and continue to supplement her with her milk needs.

Please help if you can

BLUE

Default Re: Cuts and slits in nipples.....large breasted.

ouch poor mom....
    Lots of moms have problems with crack with new babies, it takes a while for them to heal right.
    Kelly moms has good info on how to heal cracks.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...lehealing.html

this apno works wonders on cracks:
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/03b-t...asts.html#apno

Blue,
    I just had my LO 4 weeks ago and I am still a little sore, but not too bad. Plus I have 46J's, so I know where you are coming from. Positioning is a little tricky with large ones. I use the football hold most the time, but mostly, I latch her on any way that feels comfortable to her and me. A good one is laying down in bed, belly to belly. Put your arm under her head for support and try feeding her from your top breast. The lower one is a little more difficult for me.
    Aside from using the lanolin, I would just try some warm tea bags to help soothe them a bit.
    What I do to get my LO to open wider is I tickle her chin with my nipple and she opens really wide. Or catch her in a yawn.

Remember she is learning too. I know thinking about that really helped ease the stress off of me. You guys can do it together.

Melissa

Hi Blue! Ouch. I can't imagine what you must be going through. I had big cracks, but they were single cracks, not multiple and radiating like you describe. It took my cracks nearly 5 months to heal completely, but they did heal, and I'm still happily nursing my 15 month-old daughter. So, there's hope!

Is it possible that you have thrush? I don't know too much about it, but my midwife mentioned that her DIL had thrush and as a result got multiple radiating cracks extending beyond the aureola.

Do you have a lactation consultant (preferably an IBCLC) available? It sounds like you could really use some expert, hands-on help with positioning. It's harder with large breasts. I'm a 40DD, and I know that maneuvering a tiny thrashing baby and a large breast is a real trick. An IBCLC can also check your baby's mouth for tongue-tie or any other sucking problems.

I personally found side-lying to be the best position for nursing my daughter when she was tiny. That way I could use the bed to hold her, and use both hands for positioning and stuffing as much breast into her little mouth as possible. I found that if I squashed my aureola into a oval shape, aligned the long axis of the oval parallel with the long axis of my daughter's mouth, and then stuffed it in, I got the best results. (Does that make sense? My LC described it as "flattening the breast sandwich before putting it in the baby's mouth.")

I can totally understand why you wouldn't want to feed your bloody bottled milk. If it helps, I have heard that after a while in the fridge, the blood separates out and falls to the bottom of the bottle. I just urge you to be cautious and to "pump and dump" if you're finding nursing too painful and are therefore not nursing. That way your supply will stay up for when you manage to get things back on track. I am sure that you will succeed! Good luck, and hang in there!

WOW Thank you ladies sooooo very much for helping me with all these wonderful suggestions.

From browsing some other forums on here....I have tried the nipple shield (24mm that I received in the hospital) I did that this evening on both breasts at 2 different feedings and NO PAIN:woot It was just the normal tugging that comes along with breasfeeding. Why did I stop the nipple shield? The nurses in the hospital said that she could get nipple confusion and that you should only use the shield for like the first couple of days.

Anyways....it seems to help now....and I had seen that some Moms have used them for months....I think that I will try that route for now. I think that I am going to go ahead and order from the website Andrea that you linked me that healing ointment (because she doesn't touch my breast or the slits---they are both covered and protected during feedings) Maybe with the ointment I can heal faster. I just cannot afford to pump anything right now.....should I get engorged, my husband has helped me before(fun for him...hahaha, but it seriously does help me)

And I'm even more appreciative of the time duration that you all gave me....I was thinking a week or two, but up to 5 months is a more realistic time frame....and you've no idea how much I appreciate that info....that's what led me to try this new effort.

Everyone here is sooooo wonderful and I am truly appreciative of all of your help and suggestions.

I have had several lactation consultations.....and with my son, I was able to lie on my side and that worked.....I just need to do the cradle hold for about 2 weeks and then maybe introduce other methods to her again.

Praise all of you women in this group....I'm truly, truly thankful No one was able to answer any ?s or shed this much light.

BLUE

If I could just ask one more thing....since I am sooo new....could you possible shed some light as to some of the abbreviations? And any ones I might see on the other threads in these forums? Thanks a bunch....I'm thinking LC is Lactation Consultant/Consultation?

For abbreviations, check out http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

When it came to latching with big breasts (34 F), I found that the "nipple sandwich" was quite helpful, as was having my LO in the football hold. Those worked the best in the beginning.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...an-shield.html (about half way down they talk about the nipple sandwich)

I also had issues with flat nipples, so if I was the least bit engorged, I needed to pump/express before latching him, otherwise it was like trying to latch on to a bowling ball.

I think I may have been though the "cracks" that you mentioned. I emailed Jolie a picture of them, although she never got back to me. Perhaps you could PM her (or she'll stumble across this thread) and be able to help you deal with them. She told me that mine looked like "small cracks" which is common with thrush, which I had. Both me and my DS were treated for thrush and they promptly went away. They did look like they were about to bleed (but never did) and radiated outward on the areola. Man, those suckers were itchy!
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Thanks for the abbrev. link. It isn't thrush( I had that checked by my Peds last week) As far as the slits go.....imagine little scalple(sp?) cuts all along in circles. It's from her gum line(lol, I had actually checked the other day to see if she actually had TEETH there---at only 5 weeks, hahaha)

She seems to continue to do well with the guard so far (knock on wood) So we'll see from there.

What a wonderful community here.

Blue

sometimes babies can have thursh with no symtoms.
    And lots of doctors don't know much about it!
    If your still having pain in a few days of working on her latch and using the nipple sheild try the doctor again.
    heres a good read about thrush
    http://breastfeeding.hypermart.net/thrush.html

maybe this will help too.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...bMar00p10.html
    don't be afraid to call your local leader too shes around to help!

I wasn't showing any other sign of thrush (that time) either, but sure enough when I started treating for thrush they went away.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin