Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pump questions

Default pump questions

I am a fulltime working mom and up to now I'd been using an evenflo double electric. I very rarely use it as a double though, only when I'm really pressed for time, because it doesn't have as much suction when using it that way. I've mastered being able to hold it in the crook of one arm and type at my desk while pumping. (Thank God for having my own office!) Anyway, I have developed a short in the cord and honestly, am not terribly happy with it. It seems to bruise me. I just feel really tender after I use it. I am considering a handheld, but have always heard that if you pump as much as I do (at least twice a day, everyday) then you really should use an electric. We are on an extremely tight budget, so that's my other reason for considering a handheld. I can't afford to try out pumps that don't work. I got the Evenflo on sale for $40 and even though it wasn't perfect I was determined to use it because it was what I could afford. Suggestions and thoughts?

Default Re: pump questions

I don't really have any experience with the handheld pumps, I'm presently using a Medela PIS and it's doing great (it was also $250 ) Have you looked into renting a hospital grade pump? I'm not sure if that would fit into your budget or not but it would be a smaller amount monthly (or weekly) instead of one large lump sum. You can usually rent the hospital grade pumps at some drug stores, hospitals, woman's clinics, etc... One of those would also ensure your supply.

Good luck!!

Amber

I have the evenflo single electric (which I believe is very similar) so if there's something you need someone to *look* at, let me know. I'm not sure what your question is . . . . . . . . . I also have the Medela PIS Advance, and to be honest, I don't see that huge of a difference between what I can pump out between the two. The first time I used the PIS I posted here saying that it was a lot better than the Evenflo, but I forgot to note (to myself!) that it had been several hours since the last feeding/pumping session, so my intial evaluation and conclusion that it was better was, in fact, erroneous. Anyway, I guess I mean to say, if there's something about the Evenflo that you asking about, maybe I can help. I have a Medela manual hand pump too . . . . . . All I can say about it is that if you have anything close to carpal tunnel, I'd stay away from hand pumps (they are tiring). Also, I would think hand pumps are good for mamas who can pump a lot out at once (or whose milk flows fast and free). Mine doesn't so a manual pump would be torture to use, considering how slowly and meagerly my milk flows out. Just something to consider, not sure what your *situation* is. Also, you most likely have to use both hands with a manual, something that might interfere with what you are trying to do at your desk at work (my,my, the visual!)

Good Luck
    Lisa

I checked into renting a pump before the baby was born. It was almost $80 a month in my area. Not affordable. The Evenflo for one thing, has a short in the cord and unless I hold it just so, it stops, slows down, makes this horrible grinding noise... it's really bothersome. Not only that, but in order to make my milk come down, I end up turning the suction way up and then my nipples get like, bruised and super tender. It hurts to put my bra back up. Then when I get home, it REALLY hurts to nurse the baby. The baby is four months old and I've been back at work since she was six weeks old. I've started finding excuses not to pump and I would rather be engorged than pump. I'm thinking this isn't a good situation, so I'm trying to look into buying a different pump. I can't afford the Medela, although I've heard that's best, so I've been trying to figure out if there's a cheaper one that's comparable. I would also love to try the Avent Duo, but that's not really in my price range either.

Thanks for the wisdom. Off to pump. We had parent teacher conferences tonight so I was gone for twelve hours and could only pump once. Ouch!

Wow, $80 for a rental pump, that's pretty steep!! They're anywhere from $40 to $60 in my area. I initially bought an Evenflo pump as well (the single electric) and wish I would have just invested my money in the Medela to start with. I had what felt like bruising around my nipples too, only I never saw any actual discoloration. Mine also developed a short in the cord. A fellow poster here mentioned that some women call them "Evilflo's", I think she's right!!

Well, good luck in whatever you choose to do. Just remember that a pump will eventually pay for itself in what it saves you in purchasing formula. That stuff is outrageous!

Take Care!
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

Ahhh...the legendary "evil flo" pump! You may find it more cost-effective to invest in something like an Ameda Purely Yours. It's a double-electric pump that you can probably find brand new (you want to stay away from used pumps!) on Ebay for less than $200 shipped. I think I got mine for something like $165 shipped - it was definately a good deal.

HTH!

I found an Ameda Purely Yours pump used on Ebay for $80, including s&h. The seller had a return policy, so I would have been able to return it if it didn't work. I've been really happy with it! I agree a new pump would be preferable, but just not always feasible.

I bought my first pump, a used Medela PIS on EBAY for $50! It lasted for several months, but I was pumping 6-7 times per day, and it started to wear out, so I bought a new PISA from the LC at the hospital for 200 or 250(can'r remember- it was 2 years ago!!)

Also, I know that in Wisconsin, as well as in Illinois, WIC will supply a breast pump for the bfing momma if they qualify for WIC- makes sense to me, as formula costs a BIT more than a pump does!!

I used WIC with my older son, but I make too much money to qualify now (by about a whole whopping $50 a week!). It was a wonderful pump. I called the lac consulant there, I really liked her, and she suggested the Medela PIS, but it's so pricey. I wondered about the Bailey Nurture III. Anyone know anything about that?