Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing every hour

Default Nursing every hour

Hello,

For the past two days my one week old son wants to nurse almost every hour. With my daughter, who is now almost 5, I would often have to wake her for feedings, and I was constantly worried that she wasn't getting enough . Anyway, I know there are "high frequency days," and that some babies do want to nurse on the hour, but this is new to me. I'm pretty he is getting enough because he has many wet diapers and poops regularly. Anyone else going through the same situation?

Default Re: Nursing every hour

My son was like that...he is going on 10 months now and would rather play than nurse...but those first few months he was nursing constantly, 24/7. Invest in a sling or wrap if you don't have one already, and enjoy it because it will be over to soon.

Emilee
    Wife and Mommy
    DS born on Aug 4th 2006 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches
    DD born at Home on May 10th 2008 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches

Thanks, Emilee

You are right. I know I will miss this precious time when he is older.

I do have a sling, and I should really start using it!

It sounds like your lo might be going through his first growth spurt(around day 7-10) . here is a good link for you. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html It should get better in a few days to week

My son would often nurse every hour each morning after going 2-3 hours during the night. It was a regular pattern for us (and lasted all day during a growth spurt.)

Very normal - yet exhausting, I know. My DS nursed ~20X a day for his 1st 6 wks of life. I was blown away since everything I had read and been told in BF class was that newborns nursed every 2-3 hrs. It must be hard when you have an older child to care for. Do you have a sling?

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

I totally agree, normal. It could be a growth spurt but for us the first year was a growth spurt, lol. I can laugh now, right? I agree a sling helps. I have an older son. It can be hard. Camp out on the couch and play games, read books, watch a movie with your 5 y/o. Best wishes.

Smile Re: Nursing every hour

Thanks so much to all of you. I feel a lot better!