Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OALD caused poor latch?

Unhappy OALD caused poor latch?

I never realized it until I came here, but it seems I have OALD. Since the beginning my baby has been gassy, spit up a lot, and frequently fusses at the breast.

The poor thing learned to compensate by taking a shallower latch and sometimes clamping down to slow the flow, so in the beginning I was in excruciating pain.

His latch has improved and my nipples stopped hurting after 6 weeks or so (I've been nursing for 13 weeks) but it still doesn't look like a "textbook" latch. His top lip is never flanged, it's always tucked in under his gum.

Is it too late to "correct" his latch? If it doesn't hurt, does that mean it's not a problem, or is it just that my nipples have toughened up?
    Sarah
    mommy to Liam, born 2/15/07
    14 months of breastfeeding and counting!

"The amount of time I spend attached to this machine..." - Officer Danni Sofer on her breast pump, on "The Shield"

Another cloth convert

Default Re: OALD caused poor latch?

I was going to ask the same thing...

Hi,

I suffered through the same thing. My LO is 9 months old now and we have passed that phase but I wanted to toss in my advice. My poor latch with the lip not flanged out helped get the milk without choking- but... it eventually caused enough damage to open the door to a ductal yeast infection . Trust me, get the latch right now! If I had to do it over, I would have started block feeding and expressing before feeding each time months earlier to get that latch right in spite of the OALD. Yeast is VERY painful and so are bleeding nipples from poor latch.
    HTH and good luck

Thanks for the advice... ok, now HOW do I correct his latch? I heard somewhere that babies learn to latch by getting milk, and he's getting milk all right (boy is he ) so how do I get him to not tuck in that top lip? I'm using both hands as it is since I have large breasts.
    Sarah

"The amount of time I spend attached to this machine..." - Officer Danni Sofer on her breast pump, on "The Shield"

Another cloth convert

Here's a link to some information that might help you:

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

Many times, a baby who is coping with OALD will latch improperly in an attempt to slow down the flow of milk. Varying nursing positions can help. The clutch/football hold, sidelying, or a reclined position (leaning back in a chair or lying in bed propped with pillows) are all popular with oversupplied moms. You might also try removing baby from the breast when you first letdown, catching the spray in a cloth diaper or towel, and then relatching once the strong letdown subsides. As you continue to work to get your supply in check, the latch should become less and less of a problem.

HTH. Hang in there,

Tiana

Quote Originally Posted by LLLTiana View Post
    As you continue to work to get your supply in check, the latch should become less and less of a problem.
    That's just it. I think I've corrected my supply problem now, but my LO is still tucking his upper lip in, because that's how he learned to do it.

Basically, if it doesn't hurt and he's gaining well, does it matter that it still looks wrong?
    Sarah

Another cloth convert

I don't think it matters if it doesn't hurt. This says if it feels okay and baby is transferring milk okay, it's okay. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/bas...resources.html

Thank you for that link!!! I suppose I should have realized that, but I just wanted to make sure.
    Sarah

Another cloth convert