Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is oversuppply the issue?

Default Is oversuppply the issue?

Hi

a few weeks ago I realised that my lo was coughing and being sprayed a couple of times a day. it was not excessive but definately there

She is very gassy and has explosive poos - yellow / green

I am now block feeding for 5-6 hours in the day, basically use each breast for 2 shifts per 24 hour period. she's just 3 months old and gaining weight fine

Days are better but she is still very windy and poo is the same. The nights are still bad, she is very restless and cries allot from trapped wind. Causing both of us very sleepless nights and really getting me down.

Her older sibling was the same and it went on for months, although I did not do anything about my supply as I did not know about this train of thought.

Was over supply the problem after all?

I am aware of allergy issues but put this on the back burner as their is no family history (including the sibling who was the same as a baby), other symptoms etc and I did a basic cut out of key foods from my diet for a week with no impact

Any suggestions welcome.

Default Re: Is oversuppply the issue?

Did you read through the stickies at the top of this forum? They are very helpful. 5-6 hour blocks are on the long side. Using 2-4 hour blocks is more common. (But I used 6 hour blocks myself and needed the extra long block.)

This can be frustrating! Hang in there!

Hi

yes have read the articles. I was never drowning in milk but there was allot of coughing and spluttering and spraying. That plus the wind and poo colour made it a possibility

Do you think sticking at 5 / 6 hours is a problem? her weight gain is fine and she seems satisfied with feeds. Breasts are settling down to this routine, how long does this type of thing

Problem is the nights are still bad - so was this the issue to begin with?

If you are doing 6 hour blocks and still have lots of milk - that would indicate that you did have an oversupply problem. As I mentioned I was also doing long blocks to lower my supply. I have been block feeding for 2.5 weeks now. First with 6 hour blocks for about a week then I moved to 3-4 hour blocks and today I did not need to block feed at all! I wasn't engorged this morning - but it can take longer for your breasts to get the idea and slow down production. I didn't mean to 2nd guess you - I just didn't want you to decrease your supply too much if you weren't sure it was an oversupply issue.

It took my LO almost 2 weeks of block feeding before there was significant improvement in her gas/wind/burping/urping. Finally this week (about day 16 of blocking) she fell asleep at the breast! I was thrilled!!

Also isn't there commonly a growth spurt around 3 mos? Maybe that stimulated yur supply? Or maybe she is just about to grow to catch up to your supply?

It sounds like you are doing smart things mama! Keep up the good work!