Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Peak effect with fenugreek?

Default Peak effect with fenugreek?

We supplemented my LO for several weeks after his birth due to perceived low milk supply. About 3 weeks ago (he's now 9.5 weeks old) we decided to do a radical plan of weaning him off the supplements. I started feeding round the clock (10-12 x per day) and taking fenugreek (3 caps 3x per day) and blessed thistle tea (1.5 g 3x per day). In a few days my milk supply really came up and I was able to wean him off the supplementation. However, I've sensed a sagging of my supply again. I've still been taking the herbs and feeding on demand (about 8-10 times a day, including every 2-3 hours at night!), but I don't have the feeling that my supply is up like it was. Granted, we are feeding less times per day but still enough to keep up a good supply I would think. He doesn't swallow as much milk for as long during each feeding session and he is beginning to fuss again at the breasts, especially in the evenings when my production is apparently the lowest. We've had to supplement a few times again because he just screams from hunger.

I don't know what's wrong, if I'll always have borderline supply or what. I'm quite sure it's not a growth spurt (he had that around week 6-7).

My question is: Does fenugreek have a peak effect (meaning that after a few days or weeks it loses its effectiveness)??? And how long can I safely keep taking it? for several months?

My second question is: is it possible that my LO is taking in more milk with each swallow now than he was several weeks ago? for example: 10 big swallows now mean 10 cc of milk versus only 5 cc a month ago?

Default Re: Peak effect with fenugreek?

Quote Originally Posted by carla32 View Post
    My question is: Does fenugreek have a peak effect (meaning that after a few days or weeks it loses its effectiveness)??? And how long can I safely keep taking it? for several months?

My second question is: is it possible that my LO is taking in more milk with each swallow now than he was several weeks ago? for example: 10 big swallows now mean 10 cc of milk versus only 5 cc a month ago?
    I don't have that specific information on fenugreek in front of me. But there is a book out called "The Nursing Mother's Herbal" by Sheila Humphrey. That might be helpful.

And yes, it is possible that ds has become a more efficient nurser. This is very common.

What do you think would happen if you did not keep using the supplements, watched his diaper output and just nursed him all of the time? Even though he is a little older it is still common for babies his age to nurse as often as you were before (10-12 times/24 hours, or even more). The reality is that it is difficult for us to say what satifies each individual baby with food satiety and sucking needs. So, that may just be his nursing pattern. KWIM?

I hope things go a little better for you in the next few days. Keep us posted.